Washing

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Washing

Post by FrozenInTime »

Question on something I just did. I washed some yeast after a batch finished up, washed it quite a bit actually as out of a 3.5 gallon batch, I ended up rescuing 2 gallons of beer when finished. Needless to say, It has some serious hop additions. I was blown away by the amount of trub/hop particles that was on the bottom of the bucket to say the least.

Anyways, after pulling out a full pint jar of yeast, there was still some yeast left in the wash jug. So, I once again put some water in the jug, not much, just enough to make it fluid. Shook the heck out of it and gave it 30 minutes to settle on the table. I then poured off the clear'r water on top and poured the suspended yeast into a 2000ml flask, put in some purified water (probably half and half yeast water to clear water). I then dumped in 1/2 cup of light DME, shook well to mix and put on the stir plate.

Anywayz, do ya'll think I will get some good yeast out of this, or did I fubar the mix by using soo much of the old yeast water mix from the old batch?

I ask, because all I have ever done is reuse the yeast after I've worked it down to a barely fluid yeast slurry. Just curious, I know I will have my answer in a couple days, I'm going to let it run 2-3 days on the stir plate. Just doing this really out of curiousity, I have already pulled off more S-04 than I will use in quite a while.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
philm00x

Re: Washing

Post by philm00x »

I couldn't say for sure, but I figure as long as it looked like a creamy yeast layer that wasn't dark or full of gunk, then it should be just as good as the stuff you pulled from the first run. Like you said, you'll find out soon enough on the starter you're making.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra