Kolsch Malt

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Kolsch Malt

Post by FrozenInTime »

Does anyone know where I can find some Kolsch malt? Only place I can find it is https://austinhomebrew.com/products/kolsch-malt-lb. I don't need 50 pounds, they list it as 9,999.99/lb...LOL I even put some in my cart and it shows at this price. Sent a message a couple days ago and so far, no answer and price on web site has not been fixed (?). Google it and all I come up with is AustinHB. Anyone have a different source for this extremely expensive grain? I know stuff is getting spendy but holly cow!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Kolsch Malt

Post by bpgreen »

In the description, they call it cologne base malt. I found several sources for that at a better price.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I'll check again, thanks. Yea, I find better prices than that on gold... LOL
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, if you google "Schill Kolsch Malt" you will find lots of places that sell it.

I've used it. It's nice. But honestly you can just use Pilsner and make a perfectly lovely Kolsch and it will come out lighter in color if that's your thing.

Oh, and Austin and other places, it will show 9,999 when they don't actually have it in stock but you stumble upon the page that you wouldn't have actually found using their internal search when using google. It's like a magic "out of stock" price in some shopping cart software.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I was going to suggest MoreBeer because I've bought it from them in the past but I just checked and they don't even have it on their website any more.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I think BestMalz Heidelberg is the same thing and Morebeer does sell that.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:48 pm I think BestMalz Heidelberg is the same thing and Morebeer does sell that.
Not the same, the Schill Kolsh malt is actually darker in color then Pilsner, it's more like a pale malt (it's like 4.5L). The Heidelberg is more like true very light colored Pislner malt (1.5L).

That said, it will still make a nice Kolsch.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

This is what I'm brewing when I find the Kolsch. I have brewed a few times, it is pretty darn good if I do say so myself. It was started as an RCE but my paired partner crapped out on me. Shame, he missed a very nice brew. Anyways, here it is if ... he... and anyone else would like to try it.
I found a supplier and ordered some but they are so far, slow to ship. May have to go back and order 55lbs and brew this alot more... LOL

Munich Helles
5.5 gal
OG: 1.047, FG: 1.007
IBU 31.0, EBC 7.4, ABV 5.21%

Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 9.50 lb (90%)
Kolsch 1.00 lb (10%)
Hallertau Magnum, .34oz. 60 min, first wort
Hallertau Magnum, .85oz, 15 min

Protein Rest, 122f, 35 min
Saccharification, 147f, 20 min
Saccharification, 156f, 20 min
Mash-out, 168f, 10 min

Yeast, german lager
Primary Fermentation, 52f, 21 days
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Honestly, if I couldn't find the Kolsch malt, I would just use 1# of Vienna in that in place and call it a day.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I'll have to give that a shot. Just received notice they've shipped my order so i should be good to go for a couple batches. Most recipes I've seen for Munich Helles used Kolsch so I've stuck to that.

I'm willing to try recipes if anyone has a tried/trued one they use. I've tried to stay true to style, the temps are easy to hit/hold on my Grainfather although of late it's irritating me more and more but that's another story/day.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Vienna malt in small quantities (also Munich but in even smaller ones) are true to style for a Munich Helles. They help simulate the extra maltyness developed during an old world decoction mash where the stuff was 100% pilsner but then pulled and boiled for many hours due to the maillard reactions. That's what the Kolsch malt is also doing in this recipe. That said still just going 100% pilsner is also true to style. The main thing is that it should be more malty/bready then a Czech Pilsner, and that you use Hallertau or a similar hop instead of Saaz, it should not have the strong spicy Saaz bite/nose that a Czech Pilsner has.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I am drinking on a Helles now, second time did this recipe but with different yeast, 10lbs Pilsner, 8 oz Munich, 4 oz Carafoam and 4 oz acidulated. 1.054 - 1.010
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison