mini keg

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

DRushnell

mini keg

Post by DRushnell »

Hello fellow brewers.....first time here. I just received a mini keg (128oz) and I have 2 gal ready to bottle. Do I have to sugar prime the mini keg? if so how much? Thanks in advance....Darin
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: mini keg

Post by bpgreen »

What kind of mini keg is it?

I have one that uses co2 cartridges. They're mostly supposed to be used to dispense the beer (I have a full sized keg that I fill the mini keg from), but it's possible to carbonate using one cartridge and dispense using another. It might be possible to carbonate using priming sugar in the mini keg, but the first pour might have trub in it.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

DRushnell wrote:Hello fellow brewers.....first time here. I just received a mini keg (128oz) and I have 2 gal ready to bottle. Do I have to sugar prime the mini keg? if so how much? Thanks in advance....Darin
Please explain. You have a 2 gallon ? with beer ready to bottle, or you have a small keg to transfer the beer into? Are you going to bottle, or keg your beer? If your asking what I think you are, you do not put the prime in the carboy then bottle. You either gently move the beer into a bottling bucket, or place appropriate amount of sugar into each bottle then carefully transfer the beer into the bottle on top of the sugar. Please explain your concerns/expected process so we can help you.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Hi Darin, welcome aboard!
As above, you can carb your keg with gas or sugar. You will want gas to serve the beer anyway. There are online calculators to calculate carbing sugar, and rules of thumb. I think an ounce per gallon is pretty standard, but you should confirm that.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.