Temperature question

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

moosehead

Temperature question

Post by moosehead »

I'm planning an doing my first brew shortly with a brewdemon kit.
My question is, I was planning on moving it down to my basement for fermenting. I was thinking of putting it in my workroom. The temp ranges from 61 to 64. Himidity ranges from 35 to 45 depending on the weather.
Is this an ok temp? Or is 61 too low? Is the temperature fluctuation something to worry about?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Temperature question

Post by mashani »

That should work fine. Just leave it in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks even if it "looks" done, and 3 would be better.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

I'd be inclined to keep the fermentor out of the cool basement until fermentation gets underway (thin Krausen film covers surface of the wort).
All else equal ... this would be up to ~24 after pitching the yeast.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Room temp is not the same as fermenter temp. When fermentation first gets underway the temperature can exceed the ambient temperature due to the activity of the yeast. But this would be more applicable to temperatures exceeding your stated "61 to 64".
Is "61 to 64" the daytime average or the 24 hour average? Low temperatures can extend fermentation time.
mashani is totally correct that "should work fine" depending on the accuracy of that temp range. A stick on thermometer strip can help you monitor the actual fermentation temp better and measuring the gravity with a hydrometer or refractometer can help you better the actual fermentation.
That being said I did not measure my gravity for about a year and had a decent success rate with visual and taste of the fermenting beer.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Generally a vigorous fermentation will raise the temperature 5-8 degrees for the first 5 days or so, then it will level out at or near ambient temp. Mashani is right, till you get the hang of this hobby and get more comfortable with the process let it ferment for 3 weeks. Keeping the wort around 64-66 degrees during fermentation will give you a cleaner tasting beer in the end.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

61-64 is the room temp.
Right now it is the only place that I can put the fermenter that's out of direct sunlight and away from heater vents.
The fermenter does have a stick on thermometer.
From reading this forum I found out that the 7 days that brew demon says in 5he instructions is wrong. I'm planning on brewing for 3 - 4 weeks and the bottle 3- 4 weeks in the bottle.
I've already learned much and havnt even brewed yet.

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

3 weeks in the fermenter is plenty, no reason to go 4. While 4 won't harm anything, it won't bring any benefit either. Put that extra week into the bottle, going a full 4, then at least 3 days in the fridge before consuming.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

RickBeer wrote:3 weeks in the fermenter is plenty, no reason to go 4. While 4 won't harm anything, it won't bring any benefit either. Put that extra week into the bottle, going a full 4, then at least 3 days in the fridge before consuming.
Your right, I was just planning on a little extra time just in case.

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

HerbMeowing wrote:I'd be inclined to keep the fermentor out of the cool basement until fermentation gets underway (thin Krausen film covers surface of the wort).
I tend to agree with Herb on this and think I know what he is saying. If under pitch a little and too cold things won't happen or slower, BUT if you start a little higher it will start sooner but have to watch because it will take off and go way higher then intended. I pitch cold but use a lot of yeast.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, lately I've been pitching pretty warm, near the high end of yeast range, but then putting it in a place where the wort will chill to my intended fermentation temperature over the next 4 hours or so. I tried it because since I slow chill in the M&B, sometimes it still comes out a bit on the warm side, but once I take it out of the M&B, all bets are off as far as "other things" getting into the wort. So I wanted to get the yeast in play fast.

I have had exactly zero off flavor issues that I could attribute to yeast when doing this. Everything tastes exactly as I would expect it to from that perspective.

All it seems to do is get the growth phase kicked off quicker, but not so fast that it's ripping through the wort and heating up the fermenter before it's cooled down to where I wanted it anyways.
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

HerbMeowing wrote:I'd be inclined to keep the fermentor out of the cool basement until fermentation gets underway (thin Krausen film covers surface of the wort).

OK I have it fermenting on kitchen counter for a few days at 68. I moved it downstairs and the temp dropped to 61. Was that a mistake or am i good to go?
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

berryman wrote:
I tend to agree with Herb on this and think I know what he is saying. If under pitch a little and too cold things won't happen or slower, BUT if you start a little higher it will start sooner but have to watch because it will take off and go way higher then intended. I pitch cold but use a lot of yeast.
Good points.
I following the 1st of two pieces of advice offered by Chris White of White Labs.

1) Pitch a little warm then lower the temperature when signs of fermentation 1st appear.
I've had slow-starting worts go sour b/c of long lag times ( :whistle: looking at you BRY-77).

2) Pitch a little cool but pitch a lot.

HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

berryman wrote:
Good points.
I following the 1st of two pieces of advice offered by Chris White of White Labs.

1) Pitch a little warm then lower the temperature when signs of fermentation 1st appear.
I've had slow-starting worts go sour b/c of long lag times ( :whistle: looking at you BRY-77).

2) Pitch a little low but pitch a lot.

HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

moosehead wrote:
OK I have it fermenting on kitchen counter for a few days at 68. I moved it downstairs and the temp dropped to 61. Was that a mistake or am i good to go?
If the room temp is 68°F ... then the temp inside the fermentor is likely ~5-8°F warmer.
Most would say 73 - 78°F is too warm for most yeast and could produce off flavors and possibly fusel alcohol.

Next time ... consider moving the fermentor to the basement sooner.

moosehead

Post by moosehead »

HerbMeowing wrote:
moosehead wrote:
If the room temp is 68°F ... then the temp inside the fermentor is likely ~5-8°F warmer.
Most would say 73 - 78°F is too warm for most yeast and could produce off flavors and possibly fusel alcohol.

Next time ... consider moving the fermentor to the basement sooner.
these temps are from the stick on thermometer that came with the brew demon.