And then there was one...

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

And then there was one...

Post by swenocha »

Homebrew stores are falling left and right around here. Rebel Brewer closed a while back (yes, they've reopened in name, but it's simply some other company who purchased naming rights), which led to the Craft Brewed homebrewing shop closing as well (since they were a satellite store of sorts). Worm's Way garden shop also phased their homebrew section out some time ago. Whole Foods phased out their small homebrewing section, as did Wild Hare Beer Co. Today I got word that the oldest homebrew shop in town, Lil' Ole Winemaker Shoppe, is shutting down this week. His shop was always focused more on winemaking, but he kept a supply of beermaking supplies as well. They are currently doing the liquidation, so I may run over tomorrow (the last day) and see if there is anything worth pilfering.

So now... All Seasons homebrew shop is all that remains locally. Homebrewing for me will get a lot more complicated if they ever decide to phase out their homebrew goods. Guess I'll have to start testing the online marketplace if that happens...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Beer-lord

Re: And then there was one...

Post by Beer-lord »

This is pretty much the same as many brick and mortar stores......mine included. I talk to salespeople every day and they say that online is the only way most companies can make money. Younger folks don't seem to care about building relationships (I'm not putting them all in the same barrel, but a large amount) and we're watching a major change in America with mom and pop and small businesses suffering. It is thought that the internet tax may save some but I've got my doubts.
We only have 1 true shop and I wonder how long it will last as well. My concern is that I buy my 2 row in bulk and shipping 55 lbs of grain is not cheap. So I'd end of getting a few 10lb bags and get MoreBeer's free freight (Northern and Midwest and many others offer the same thing) so that I could come close to the savings but not close enough.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

We have three stores in the Columbus area, one I don't visit because I had a rather non pleasant experience with the owner, so I don't go back. The other two are very good, but I've noticed that at one store their stock levels of items are becoming much tighter. On a number of occasions, they did not have one or more of the ingredients I was shopping for. This tells me that they are keeping a closer eye on their inventory and trying to only stock what and how much they think they will sell in a weeks time. I now know they get their deliveries on Wednesday, so I make sure not to shop on a Monday or Tuesday.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

The one I started with closed, another opened and closed, a long running one closed suddenly. The closest to me now is a thirty minute drive each way, not really worth the trip for a pound of grain or pack of yeast. I like to shop local, and try to make meetings at the shop, which also gives me an excuse to purchase. A sack of grain is worth the drive.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Seems like the opposite is happening here. A number of brew stores have opened in the past few years.

One went to online only sales almost 10 years ago. Their website still exists, but the link to the online store doesn't work. There was another small one that was only open for a couple of years.

I'm kind of a creature of habit, so I haven't checked out any of the new places.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The one closest to me is a beverage store with a little homebrew hobby operation on the side.

This means they aren't going out of business anytime soon, but they have jack when it comes to bulk grains. Just little packs of specialty grains. Mostly good for that, or some liquid yeast or hops in a pinch.

I won't buy liquid extract from them, it's always old and nasty which is why I got through MoreBeer normally.

Closest places with bulk grains are all 45 minutes away by the time I get through traffic. Factor in 45 minutes back home, and shopping, and that's 2+ hours out of my day. If I'm spending 2 hours out on the road then preferably it's gonna be on my bike, where I like to be. So I only go to those places if I have other reasons to go to those parts of town.

So mostly I've been buying my bulk grains from MoreBeer too, I don't buy 50# bags as my "mill" is my mixer and only good for small amounts. But if your buying ~30# of grain pre-crushed like I am right now, they seem to have the best prices out there by the time you factor in shipping costs (none for them), and I get stuff in 2 days.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

There are 2 full blown HBS's in Mashani and my area, both are probably 20 minutes from me but the Brew Mentor is more in my neighborhood as it is on the east side of Cleveland, and can be hit up on the way home from work if need be, the other is run by the owner of Platform and is right across the street from Platform's Brewpub. The one I frequent also brews and serves, he usually has 6 different beers on tap, along with different wines that he produces too, he is also active in the brewing community organizing a local brewfest and in touch with a lot of the local brewmasters in the Greater Cleveland area, this I think helps keep people in touch with buying local.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Since I found my go-to LHBS a few years ago I've rarely shopped online or anywhere else. It's a good 40-minute drive one way (and that's all highway driving, too, so I'm zipping along at 65 mph). But I can't see this operation closing any time soon. They're very active in their community; they host a local home-brew club; they're one of the drop-off locations for a couple of local competitions; they offer brewing on premises, and their customer service is outstanding.

I don't buy bulk grains, though. I go there every couple of weeks and buy the exact amounts of whatever I need for the next two (sometimes three) batches.

I don't care that it's a bit of a drive. When I was working, I'd go on my Saturday off. Nowadays, I either go on my day off, or after work, since my shift typically ends at 1:00, and I'm close to the Thruway anyway.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:There are 2 full blown HBS's in Mashani and my area, both are probably 20 minutes from me but the Brew Mentor is more in my neighborhood as it is on the east side of Cleveland, and can be hit up on the way home from work if need be, the other is run by the owner of Platform and is right across the street from Platform's Brewpub. The one I frequent also brews and serves, he usually has 6 different beers on tap, along with different wines that he produces too, he is also active in the brewing community organizing a local brewfest and in touch with a lot of the local brewmasters in the Greater Cleveland area, this I think helps keep people in touch with buying local.
Depending on what we call local, we also have the Grape and Grainery (Akron), and Labelpeelers (Kent). Labelpeelers is basically a homebrew shop connected at the hip to LD Carleson, IE if you can haul it, you can get 640# barrel of extract that comes right off of LD Carlson's dock from them if you want and you've got a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket. IE if LD Carlson carries it, they can get it.

Platform is actually closer to me then Brew Mentor, but by the time you factor in traffic, it's all the same, 45 minutes typically either way unless I'm going at some off hour. I can actually get to Labelpeelers just about as quickly. The joys of living near some of the most traffic congested intersections/roads/freeway ramps in NE OH, and the best way to Platform for me being going through University Circle, not a freeway.

The little but limited place near me (the beverage store with misc. homebrew stuff) is a 15 minute bike ride, or a 10 minute drive.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Similar to mashani's story, the two LHBS's closest to me are actually other businesses that provide homebrew supplies as a side-business.

The most-local LHBS has morphed into a bar/restaurant that sells brewing supplies in the corner of their space.

And a nearby bottle shop (which has a great selection of singles) added homebrew supplies about a year ago.

Neither are incredibly well-stocked, but both are good enough to get by. I tend to stay away from liquid yeast at such places, and LME, due to the age factor. If I'm looking for liquid yeast, I will usually go with an online shop that does a lot of business. But, I use dry yeast most of the time, and prefer DME when I use extract, so much of the time, these local "hybrid" shops are fine by me.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

We've got a mighty fine shop in Louisville, who actually just expanded their hours. But Lexington lost their store about a year ago.

In Indy, there is the major shop, Great Fermentations (who I recommend for online shopping too), and the smaller Final Gravity, who also does a great job and is much more personal.

They all seem to be doing fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

If they shut down check with the local breweries for supplies. I know the ones around me have no issue buying an extra sack of 2-row for me when I need some. Then it’s just the specialty stuff you need to order.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

mashani wrote:
Dawg LB Steve wrote:There are 2 full blown HBS's in Mashani and my area, both are probably 20 minutes from me but the Brew Mentor is more in my neighborhood as it is on the east side of Cleveland, and can be hit up on the way home from work if need be, the other is run by the owner of Platform and is right across the street from Platform's Brewpub. The one I frequent also brews and serves, he usually has 6 different beers on tap, along with different wines that he produces too, he is also active in the brewing community organizing a local brewfest and in touch with a lot of the local brewmasters in the Greater Cleveland area, this I think helps keep people in touch with buying local.
Depending on what we call local, we also have the Grape and Grainery (Akron), and Labelpeelers (Kent). Labelpeelers is basically a homebrew shop connected at the hip to LD Carleson, IE if you can haul it, you can get 640# barrel of extract that comes right off of LD Carlson's dock from them if you want and you've got a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket. IE if LD Carlson carries it, they can get it.

Platform is actually closer to me then Brew Mentor, but by the time you factor in traffic, it's all the same, 45 minutes typically either way unless I'm going at some off hour. I can actually get to Labelpeelers just about as quickly. The joys of living near some of the most traffic congested intersections/roads/freeway ramps in NE OH, and the best way to Platform for me being going through University Circle, not a freeway.

The little but limited place near me (the beverage store with misc. homebrew stuff) is a 15 minute bike ride, or a 10 minute drive.
Where you are, you are in the middle of no mans land as far as freeways, near an interstate yet have to go round about way to get to a connecting freeway. Was pretty much going for the local mom and pop LHBS that are near, Akron and Kent even from work in Solon is a half hour there, then another hour home.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

MrBandGuy wrote:In Indy, there is the major shop, Great Fermentations (who I recommend for online shopping too), and the smaller Final Gravity, who also does a great job and is much more personal.

They all seem to be doing fine.
I placed an online order with Great Fermentations two weeks ago. :)

I've been to both of their locations in person, as well -- well-organized, professional-looking, and staffed with friendly, helpful people. (Which is why I chose to order through them over AB InBev.)
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Dawg LB Steve wrote: Where you are, you are in the middle of no mans land as far as freeways, near an interstate yet have to go round about way to get to a connecting freeway.
The good news is that instead of a more convenient freeway, I've still got places like this to cycle around, which would have been trashed by the freeway that was proposed back in the day.
P1060123.JPG
P1060123.JPG (85.85 KiB) Viewed 919 times
I figure it's a fair trade.