To much yeast...keep or toss it?

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

To much yeast...keep or toss it?

Post by Ricklust »

I did a 2 1/2 gallon batch of BIAB Porter that the brew store made for me. I added 11.5 Grams of Safale s-104 that they gave me. The fermentation went crazy and I had to replace the Air Bubbler and attach a blow off tube for hours before putting the Bubbler back on. After doing some research I see this could greatly affect the taste of the beer. The beer is still in the fermenter now for a week. Wondering if I should throw this batch out or just let it go for another 3 weeks and bottle it. (guy at brew store coulda told me to use half of the yeast). Any advice? :oops:
Slainté ☘️
Beer-lord

Re: To much yeast...keep or toss it?

Post by Beer-lord »

You’re perfectly fine. You’d really have to add too much yeast to cause problems and you didn’t come close.
My device, never throw beer out without tasting it first. A few days to a few weeks can make all the difference in the world.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I assume you mean S-04 yeast, not S-104 yeast. Not a surprise that it was an active fermentation, especially if you didn't control temps. NEVER toss a batch until you've tasted it after conditioning in bottles for at least 4 weeks.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Unless it got too hot it will be fine. Even then, don't be quick to dump it. Time often heals off flavors. And don't worry about mistakes, I've been making them for five years, along with plenty of good beer.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

Thanx.....it was S-04. I'll just let it ferment a couple weeks more and then bottle. Still learning from batch to batch. I'm assuming I should have used half of the packet of yeast though. Temp never got above 78.
Slainté ☘️
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I often over pitch. I personally feel it's better to over pitch than under pitch.
Regarding the temperature, try to keep it from going above 72 if you can. 78 is pushing it a bit though the few times I've used that yeast, it's pretty forgiving.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Very hard to over pitch at homebrew level, you're ok. But that temp is a bit high, you should try to get it in the 66-70 degree range.
:cheers:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

The temp was at 78 during the heavy fermentation stage. It settled down to 70-72 degrees after that. Thanks to all for your help/ replies. Glad I found the Beerborg site as it is a great value to us newbies.
This is my 3rd batch of brewing.
I've been using the 3-4-1 rule that I found on this site. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the brewing continues.
SLAINTÉ
Slainté ☘️
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Keep in mind that if you do find off-flavors in this batch ("hot" or alcohol) they would likely be due to the higher fermentation temp and not the amount of yeast you pitched.
I'm not saying you *will* get off-flavors, as I don't use that yeast very often - just a heads-up on what/where to attribute tastes.

It sounds like you've decided to let it ride with your 3-4-1 and then taste one and that's the best approach.
Cheers.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

According to the manufacturer, the temp range for that yeast is 59-75, with an ideal range of 59 - 68, so you're a little high. But not too high. You may find that it needs a little more conditioning time if it does produce some off flavors.

Click me for an interesting thread on the American Homebrewers Association website about S-04 and higher temps.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

S-04 is a bear of a yeast, I pitch 2 packs in 5 gals. and ferment in the low to mid 60's and always use a blow-of tube at least to start with. As far as the amount that is just about right on, just a little high on the temp. as other above have said.
Last edited by berryman on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You for sure did NOT pitch too much yeast.

The yeast pitch calculator I use says you pitched *exactly the right amount*.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

S-04 has a "cell density" of 8 (see the chart below the calculator).

If you plug 8 in the cell density field, and put in 1.05 as the gravity (probably about what you were at) and 2.5 gallons, it says:

88 billion cells pitched out of a target pitch rate of 88 billion cells.

Any off flavors you get will be due to something else.

I pretty much always pitch a full 10-11.5g dry pack in a 2.5 to 3 gallon batch.
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

berryman wrote:S-04 is a bear of a yeast, I pitch 2 packs in 5 gals. and ferment in the low to mid 60's and always use a blow-of tube at least to start with. As far as the amount that is just about right on, just a little high on the temp. as other above have said.
It will be getting hot down here in about a month and was wondering how you control tempatures when fermenting.

Also, I believe the heavy fermentation caused the Tempature to rise 8-10 degrees in the Fermenter.
Slainté ☘️
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Try this:
A makeshift evaporative cooler (swamp cooler).

Place your fermenter in a pan of water deep enough to hold about 2 inches of water. You don’t want it too shallow, since the water is sure to evaporate faster in the summer time. Soak either a T-shirt or towel in the water and drape it over your fermenter (being sure to keep your airlock under the fermenter’s lid clear). Be sure that the bottom of the shirt or towel dips into the water in your pan all the way around. Get a fan blowing on your draped fermenter, and it will hold a temperature about 10-15 degrees below your space’s ambient temperature. This swamp cooler setup will work, but it is known to be unreliable, and you may struggle to keep the fermenter at a consistent temperature.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

Thanks Mashani..
I feel much better now after reading your post.
Slainté ☘️