Where are the Oktoberfest Beers?

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Where are the Oktoberfest Beers?

Post by MadBrewer »

It's about that time, I'm a little behind brewing this one but it should be just fine. This is a very special batch for a friend that was killed in a work accident almost 1 yr ago. We talked in the past about me brewing a beer for him and checking out the brewing process. He wanted to brew a Bock, but since we never got to that I wanted to brew something a little different to pay tribute to him and have something very special to share when we all get together around his anniversary. I do not brew a lot of lagers and I do not think I have brewed an Oktoberfest but after looking at some great recipes from my books, internet forums and award winning versions from Zymergy articles I put together something from all of those I looked at. I wanted something rich, malty, flavorful yet balanced and still have some hop character in there. Something to showcase good ingredients, process and have something very drinkable for all to enjoy. This one just kind of came together easy and it looked pretty good to me. I love this time of year and I love this kind of Lager, so I'm looking forward to it. Anyone else going to have an Oktoberfest beer this year?

Celebration Lager
Oktoberfest/Marzen

Batch Size (G): 5.0
Total Grain (lb): 10.000
Total Hops (oz): 3.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 10.1 (EBC): 19.9
Bitterness (IBU): 27.0 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

4.000 lb Pilsner (40%)
3.000 lb Munich I (30%)
2.000 lb Vienna (20%)
0.500 lb Aromatic Malt (5%)
0.500 lb Caramunich II (5%)

2.00 oz Hallertau Pellet (3.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
1.00 oz Tettnanger Pellet (3.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes

Single step Infusion at 154°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at ~53°F with Saflager W-34/70
Brew Strong My Friends...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Where are the Oktoberfest Beers?

Post by berryman »

That is a very nice tribute for you to do and sounds like a good plan. I've brewed a few Lagers with decent results, but the last couple times I did a Oktoberfest it was so so and not planning on doing another one for awhile. I think now that I can do a big yeast starter and have better temp. control it should come out better but not doing it this year. I can make a real nice Pumpkin Ale and a Apple Ale and that works for me around October. Post your results and how you did it, I am interested and want to try again.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That's an awesome tribute. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That's a great idea. It's an honor to brew for someone else's memory.
I'm not a huge Octoberfest guy, I drink them, just don't want 5 gallons of it. Though I'm sure I could hop mine up and make it a Hoptoberfest. :hammer:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Thanks guys, I figured an Oktoberfest was a celebration style beer so it seemed fitting for the occasion. The guys at work are also really looking forward to it so I hope it turns out well.

@Berryman so far it's off to a good start. I used my filtered water with no additions only acid to the mash and sparge water. Had a hard time getting down to lager temps and I brewed this after work so after a few hrs of letting it chill in my fermentation freezer by 10pm I had to pitch warm at 60* or be up half the night waiting. I usually rehydrate my dry yeast but by 10 pm I had to get in bed for work early in the morning so I sprinkled in 2 dry packs of 34/70 Lager yeast and let it chill to the low 50's.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

What a great way to honor your friend. Everyone that enjoys this beer will be able to raise the glass in memory to him.

This is very similar to my Octoberfest. Mine is 4 pounds each Pilsner, Munich, Vienna and .5 Caramunich. With the same hops and times fermented with WLP820 or 830.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

It would take me a year to drink 5 gallons of most Oktoberfests
They are generally way too sweet
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

dbrowning wrote:It would take me a year to drink 5 gallons of most Oktoberfests
That's intersting, most I have had seem too bitter or are too hoppy. I have actually been looking for sweeter versions. It's a beer that is all about balance, it's easy to go too far one way or the other. One of my favorites and what I think is a good balanced version of the style is Goose Island Oktoberfest.
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

MadBrewer wrote:
dbrowning wrote:It would take me a year to drink 5 gallons of most Oktoberfests
That's intersting, most I have had seem too bitter or are too hoppy. I have actually been looking for sweeter versions. It's a beer that is all about balance, it's easy to go too far one way or the other. One of my favorites and what I think is a good balanced version of the style is Goose Island Oktoberfest.

Would love to try an example of one you consider to hoppy
By BJCP guidelines ... 20 - 28 IBU
I'm not sure how you could make one too hoppy and be close to style
Ive never had one that was hoppy at all
And almost always way to sweet
I'm not saying undrinkable
Just sweeter than I prefer
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

That's the thing, I don't think too many commercial breweries focus on BJCP guidelines and that can go for most styles, Oktoberfest aside. So there is quite a wide variety of "the style". I'm no expert by any means but ones I have had do not seem to fit what I would think of as the style...but I'm sure it's just my idea of preference or I haven't had enough of them to get a better feel for them.

Sierra Nevada teams up with a different German brewery every year to collaborate on an Oktoberfest beer every year, that might be one to peruse for as close as we might get to true style. They have been really good in the past.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Most American Oktoberfest's are too bitter or dry, but that's just because American's have a bug up their butt about malty sweet tasting beers.

Ayinger is a great traditional Oktoberfest beer but a large number of people I know won't drink it because they think it's "too sweet".

Basically IPA's ruined 'Mericans.
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

mashani wrote:Most American Oktoberfest's are too bitter or dry, but that's just because American's have a bug up their butt about malty sweet tasting beers.

Ayinger is a great traditional Oktoberfest beer but a large number of people I know won't drink it because they think it's "too sweet".

I'm not much for high hopped IPAs either really
But I cannot drink beer that tastes like maple syrup
My opinion
Not your
Doesn't mean I'm wrong
Nor that you are right
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

dbrowning wrote:
mashani wrote:Most American Oktoberfest's are too bitter or dry, but that's just because American's have a bug up their butt about malty sweet tasting beers.

I'm not much for high hopped IPAs either really
But I cannot drink beer that tastes like maple syrup
My opinion
Not your
Doesn't mean I'm wrong
Nor that you are right
I don't like beer that is as sweet as maple syrup either LOL.

Ayinger and some other traditional Oktoberfests can be quite malty/sweet, but they aren't like that.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I think the best Oktoberfest I ever made was back with MB in a LBK LOL, the Oktoberfest Vienna and I think I added a steep and pitched a smack pack. I've brewed it a couple times after In 5 gal extract with a better recipe and never came out as good as I would have liked. Drinkable yes, but not great. I think now what I was doing wrong, nowhere enough yeast count and not good temp control. Mash is right, Oktoberfest is a malt heavy but a clean beer that really does not need to be bitter with hops just a good malt backbone. The way I like that style.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Your tribute to your friend/co-worker is noteworthy. Well done.

I make my Ottertoberfest every year, and I always look forward to the fall, when I can enjoy it.

8# Vienna
1.5# Munich
1.25# Pilsner

0.5 Oz. Tettnang @45 minutes
0.5 Oz. Hallertau @45 minutes
0.5 Oz. Tettnang @ 20 minutes
0.5 Oz. Hallertau @ 20 minutes
0.5 Oz. Tettnang @7 minutes
0.5 Oz. Hallertau @7 minutes

White Labs WLP830 German Lager Yeast.

I keep the fermentation temp at 52 degrees until the D-rest, then I bring it up to 62-65 for a couple days before dropping it back down to 52 to finish. Then I keg it and let it lager for a couple months. Very enjoyable.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer