Trail Mix Ale

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Verge_25

Trail Mix Ale

Post by Verge_25 »

When my brewing skills get better and I've done a few all-grain recipes, I'd eventually like to start creating my own. Most will probably be ones that have already been done, after all, what hasn't been done?! If there's one I've never seen and definitely want to try making, it would be a trail mix ale! Although there are many different types of trail mix, the basic essential flavors to include would be nuts and dried fruit. I'd like to hold off on adding chocolate until later variations.

Anyway, what this all boils down to is...any suggestions?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Trail Mix Ale

Post by mashani »

Random blathering from "Dr. Frankenbier":

Maris Otter malt mixed with some English Brown Malt and/or Victory Malt will give you some nice nutty flavors.

Special B or *EXTRA* Dark British crystal will give you some raisin like flavors.

You can find Tart Cherry and Citrus flavored candi syrups. Also D-180L and D-90L candi syrup will give you some plum/raisin flavors. And D-45L will give you some vanilla like flavors. You can also used canned cherries (but it gets messy really fast).

When you get to chocolate, there are Coco Nib flavored candi syrups that will give you some of those flavors. You can also get some chocolate like flavors from good dark British Chocolate Malt if you add some vanilla bean or pure vanilla extract or maybe some D-45L to bring them out. But contrary to the name of the malt, without the vanilla it won't really be very chocolate like, and more roasty.

You can also use cocoa nibs and/or dutch processed coco powder if you want.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

<mashani drops mic and walks away>
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Banana from wheat yeast.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

You definitely can use oats. Nuts are a problem because the oil will suppress the head on the beer. You can add de-fatted peanut powder, I think that's how they make peanut butter stouts. As Mashani says, an amazing variety of flavors can come from just kilned barley. People add all sorts of fruit to beer, just sanitize it with a boil, or a vodka steep, first. I also suggest that you start with small batches, and small amounts of added ingredients. Fruits added to the fermenter will add sugars, so be prepared for more fermenting. One method of testing ingredients is to add drops of extracts to a single beer of a similar sample. That way you have an idea of how much is enough, or too much.
I believe you can do this.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.