Grain mill settings

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Grain mill settings

Post by Whamolagan »

What are the borg setting their mills at.
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Grain mill settings

Post by HerbMeowing »

I recently reset Teh Barley Crusher from 0.039 factory-setting to 0.036.
Notable (3-5 point) increase in brewhouse eff.

No change noted in the lautering flow; although ... it seems to take a little longer to vourlaf.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Beer Warrior

Post by Beer Warrior »

I stick my drivers license in and tighten it down until I can just pull the license out. Of course my Tennessee license is pretty thin.
Twitter username is @MusicCityBrews
Facebook page is http://www.Facebook.com/MusicCityBrewSupply
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I have just kept my barley crusher on .039. The finer you crush the more efficiency you will get but the more stuck sparges you will get as well. I have had several stuck sparges so I have no intentions of closing the gap any further.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I have mine at factory default of .039 and have never adjusted it in 2 years thought I've been thinking about double checking. It seems to still work fine for me.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I haven't moved mine from the factory setting, but does it need to be adjusted from time to time?
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It depends. If you take care of it, it should be fine for a while but like all moving machines, adjustments may have to be made.
Here's a good video to keep linked to.

PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

My grain mill is a flour mill that goes on a Kitchen Aid mixer. I set it to the coarsest setting, gives me just about right crush but does give me more flour than I care for. Never stuck, I use a home made bazooka on my tun. BUT, the hopper is WAY to small, takes too long to crush the grist.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Anyone use a corona style mill like the one pictured. I can get one for about $25, and was wondering if it's worth while. I only do 2 1/2 gallon batches and typically only use about 5 pounds of grain at a time. I don't think adjusting the grind is as specific as a roller mill. I think it's pretty much by eyeball and examining the results.
Attachments
k2-_50887686-25a0-46ff-a99f-6f5062908e20.v1.jpg
k2-_50887686-25a0-46ff-a99f-6f5062908e20.v1.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Ibasterd wrote:Anyone use a corona style mill like the one pictured. I can get one for about $25, and was wondering if it's worth while. I only do 2 1/2 gallon batches and typically only use about 5 pounds of grain at a time. I don't think adjusting the grind is as specific as a roller mill. I think it's pretty much by eyeball and examining the results.
I have one. I have not motorized it at all, I.E. I turn the hand crank. It works fine for a small batch. You are right about the adjustment. I usually get a bit more crushed than I would get from commercially crushed grain. I just stay away from totally making flour.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Ibasterd wrote:Anyone use a corona style mill like the one pictured. I can get one for about $25, and was wondering if it's worth while. I only do 2 1/2 gallon batches and typically only use about 5 pounds of grain at a time. I don't think adjusting the grind is as specific as a roller mill. I think it's pretty much by eyeball and examining the results.
I use this style of mill ( a very generous gift, it was! )

It is rock solid, tried and true technology from the Late 19th / Early 20th century.

I find it to be just right for steeping grains and small partial mash preps. (0-5 lbs)

If you remove the thumb screw holding the handle on, you can chuck a drill motor on it to save some time but... I feel it crushes better when cranking by hand...

Besides, I find it theraputic to crank along to some of my favorite music whilst the water heats!

I have had it for several years it seems, and have set the grist plate twice. I never have to grind more than once. The crush is good and the amount of shake is minimal.

I do not believe it would be appropriate for full volume biab or ag. A bigger, better mill would be the answer there.

:cool:
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I have the hand-crank corona style, too. I like it. I find I can crush all my grains while the strike water is heating, and it times out nearly perfectly.

As far as the setting, I've only had to adjust it once, recently, because it became a little loose, and I was getting too many whole grains falling through. And while it seems weird, strange, and wrong, I never took a measurement when I first set it. I just adjusted it until the grist looked similar to what I'd been getting from Northern Brewer. Yep, I eyeballed it, and I was brewing at 75% efficiency from Day One.

Maybe when I'm on vacation in a couple weeks, I'll actually calibrate it, but maybe not.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Used my brand new corona style mill today. Adjusted the gap until I liked what I saw and went for it. I had good efficiency too. 75% to 80% up from somewhere near 60%! Plus it was fun.

What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
GUI_Center

Post by GUI_Center »

I set my monster mill 3 to 0.038". I did however measure from 0.032" up to 0.042" so that I can change on the fly if needed. I have never needed to as my crush at 0.038" gets me very good efficiency.
Brewer formerly known as CoolDaddy on MrBeerFans