Gonna do my first Jalapeno beer, have some questions

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Gonna do my first Jalapeno beer, have some questions

Post by jpsherman »

My mom had a bumper crop of jalapenos and got me to take home 40-50 peppers, and my bro got the same amount! :hammer: :banana:

So I am thinking about doing a simple clean ale, probably using S-05 yeast.

I want the peppers to shine so I would like to know what hops would not conflict with or overpower the peppers. I am shooting for a low IBU here, like 15-20ish.

Probably going to do light extract with a CaraPils steep. This will be a LBK batch.

I am planning on cutting the peppers in half and deseeding them, soaking in vodka, and adding after high krausen.

Perhaps adding a bit of pepper at bottling.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or advice to tweak this recipe.

How many jalapenos would you use?
Which hops?
Anybody have a formula for how adding vodka bumps the ABV?
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Gonna do my first Jalapeno beer, have some questions

Post by mashani »

Personally, I'd just brew a cerveza type of beer, IE a simple Mexican lager or something like a cream ale with some flaked maize and a clean ale yeast, using German hops like Tettnang as the bittering addition, and little or no other hops at all for flavor/aroma. Keep the IBUs low. Let the peppers shine as the flavor/aroma.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I've seen "chili" beers mentioned but not done one; first thing that came to mind was if you should use an LBK or find a small food grade bucket to ferment in.

I just wonder if the capsicupm (sp?) will not be removable from plastic.

That being said you may want to consider smoking the peppers for little added depth to the flavor, i.e. a little smoke and a little malliard so they don't come off as vegital used raw.

All that being said I'm interested in what you are anticipating flavor wise as you design the recipe.

Like Mashani says a logical conclusion is looking for a cervesa style beer and a mild hop but a citrusy hop that leans towards lime/lemon might add a bit of zing.

Sounds like a fun project as long as you don't put your fingers near your eyes. :lol:

KUPP (keep us posted please)

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

I've got 4 jalapenos steeping in vodka right now. Might brew this up on Friday, if I have the time.

German hops sound good, I will plan on the bittering charge only.
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

truckndad
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by truckndad »

I did a jalapeno ale a couple years back. Ass Burner Ale, burns as much on the way out as it did on the way in. I just did a simple Mexican Cervaca style in the LBK. Three peppers, two seeded, one un-seeded. Added them on week two. Bottled at the end of week three. It was hot. I should've seeded that third pepper. But I had the flavor I wanted. The peppers out did the hops (tettanger). I just added lime at drinking time and that helped mellow it out a bit.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I made a simple ale, not much hops/flavor. When I bottled them, I sliced the peppers in half, removed the seeds and put a half pepper in each bottle. At first, there was little flavor. After 'bout 2 months, they started to taste nice, not hot but could taste the peppers. After 'bout 4 months and later, the brewskis started to kick up the heat, the last few was pretty warm to say the least. Oh, for the tasteless beer, I used Mr Beers American Ale, bout as bland as they come but worked great for above beer.

I had a bumper crop of jalepeno's meself this year. They went fast! Remove the stem, core out the pepper without breaking it open. Stuff bottom half with room temp cream cheese. Fry up some of your favorite Jimmy Dean Sausage, but leave a little pink, fill rest of peppers to top. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Whilst oven is heating, wrap each pepper/cheese/sausage with a single slice of bacon. Bake for 30 minutes or so, watch the bacon. Don't burn it, cook until crisp. I use pepper trays and they sit close to each other, I bake for an hour. Just laid on a tray, takes bout 30 minutes. Eat these with your favorite beer, it will go over sooooo much better than putting them in the beer. IMHO
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I've done a couple of jalapeno beers. The first one was too hot but you could have it with dinner and a bite of your food to cool it down, usually it is the other way around.

The second one was a Rauchbier. All grain with 50% smoked malt. I thought the jalapeno heat and flavor were about right but most people thought it was too smokey.

First one was an ale, second one was a lager. You can control flavor and heat by leaving veins and seeds in some slices and not in others.

I added mine at the start of fermentation but adding the peppers to secondary might be a better idea.

Here is how the local brewery does it:

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

When I did mine I cut the veins and seeds out, chopped them up, put them in a hop sack, and tossed them in my kettle the last 15 minutes of the boil. The flavor came out absolutely perfect. If you are just using a bittering addition of hops there will be no conflict no matter what hop you use.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

I have very little to add to this except that a start up brewery here has a Jalapeno/Bacon beer that is TO DIE FOR!! The beer seems to be a medium bodies beer which holds up to both the Jalapeno and the bacon well with a nice smoked malt flavor at the back end.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Haven't tried Jalapeno beer, but definitely have done the cream cheese filling that FIT mentions (although not nearly as delicious sounding as his). They are great with beer.

Ass Burner ale, burning both ways, sounds like something I wouldn't want to try. OUCH!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hmmm bacon... this would probably be good with it then:

http://morebeer.com/products/cascade-be ... bacon.html
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

I ended up doing a MrB Cervesa + Pale LME pouch.
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

That was probably your best bet.

For future batches, I'd do as Mashani suggests and make a light cerveza-type beer using Tettnang or Hallertau.

I made a jalapeno beer early on, and it came out fine, but it wasn't really something I was interested in keeping in the pipeline. But keeping things simple is the way to go in these cases, IMO. Adjusting the amount of peppers you use in future batches is the only fine-tuning I can see being needed.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

I would say that 4 peppers was the correct amount. Bottled it today and it had a nice kick to it, but not too strong. I would say I could drink one beer without being in pain, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one at a time. The aroma is awesome! I'm kinda excited to cook with this beer also. Should be a good addition to any chili or cheese sauce.
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA