rookie mstakes tonight

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

tekn50

rookie mstakes tonight

Post by tekn50 »

Had a couple of mistakes, should be ok though. I forgot to use a hop sack during the boil. So they disintegrated, since I forgot there, I went ahead skipped using one at flame out. After letting it sit for 5 min I poured it in the lbk, then pitched the yeast. Then I realized I forgot to add the second gallon of water. Added that and checked temp. 83. I had that water in there in about 20 second. I know it will be fine, just couldnt believe it. Well here is what I used. 1lb Amber 3/4 pack of cascade for 10minutes and 1/4 pack at flame out. With a hme of patriot lager and house yeast. There shall be lots of trub this time I feel with the hop mess up. This is my 4th batch, each time I add a step. Building slowly but steady.
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: rookie mstakes tonight

Post by bucknut »

The commando hops won't hurt, just prop up the front of the keg a bit to keep it away from the spigot. Wort was pretty hot when you pitched so I'd just keep a watch on it, if you don't see any activity within 24hrs you might want to pitch some more yeast. I like to pitch an ale yeast under 70 degrees.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Yup, what he said. I go commando quite often, it hurts nothing. Just take his advice and prop up the front of the LBK with a couple empty CD cases, all will be fine. If your worried about the green floaties making it into the bottle, 3 days before you plan on bottling, put the LBK into tha chill box. This is called cold crashing. Leave it in there until you are set up to bottle, take out, put on table with the front still prop'd up and bottle as normal. The yeasties will also be asleep, but the will wake up and do their job. This will give u less floaties in the bottle. Move the LBK as gently as possible from the chill box as to not disturb the trub.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
tekn50

Post by tekn50 »

I put the cd chase under the front, good tip. I might cold crash if there is room in the fridge. It is brewing away right now, I could smell it when I got up this morning. It looks like it might be running a little hot, closer to 80. My room temp is 70, should I put it down stairs were its around 58 to 60. The basement never gets above 63, even in summer. I think its just from the yeast eating like pigs, but my last 3 were much cooler.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I would put it downstairs for the first few days. Then, you can check your stick on thermometer (if you don't have one, get one) and see how it's running to determine if you want to bring it up.

In the winter, I go a few days in the basement, then bring it up where it's 70 in my office (but on the floor it's closer to 65).
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

+1 on the cold crash. I don't always do it, but I went comando with the hops on my last batch, and the cold crash really helped pack all those hops into the trub. Bottling went really smoothly with no sediment getting into the bottles.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

I used to pitch at 70- 75 but now I pitch at 65 and keep the fermenter at <65 air temp ,this change has done wonders for the taste of my beer .
tekn50

Post by tekn50 »

I moved the lbk downstairs, the air temp is 60. That thing has cooled to 78, it was at 80 when I got home from work. It should be ok still, well I hope. Find out in 2 months, or so.
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

from what I know the first 24-48 hrs. of fermentation, temps are vary important for taste and off flavours but even when mine were at 75 some times , I was still able to drink them without having to dump it. there will most likely be no problems as long as the temp comes down before the yeast get going.
tekn50

Post by tekn50 »

The temp is now around 68. I have it in a box with a towel around it. Hopefully it will hold steady for next couple of weeks.