STC-1000 Temp Controller Build

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

SnakefetusBrewing

STC-1000 Temp Controller Build

Post by SnakefetusBrewing »

So after about 2 months of slowly collecting the materials needed to build my own temp controller, I finally have everything I need! :cheers:
http://www.onemansbeer.com/keezer-build ... ontroller/ <--- This is where I got my instructions from.
So now, over the next week, with what little time I have these days I am going to work on getting everything assembled. I will take some pictures and include them when I update this with the finished product.

Just wondering how many out there in the borg use these things and any thoughts and feelings you may have regarding the device :fedora:
Beer is Good. Beers Are Better
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: STC-1000 Temp Controller Build

Post by Brewbirds »

Well if anyone wants to come over and install a new compressor on my beer fridge first I'm all in for trying it. :(
Sibling Brewers
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I use one on my brew fridge, and the probe was a lot more accurate than any kitchen thermometer I've used. The only thing I dislike is that it only reads in Celsius. Not to fret, I know how to convert between Celsius and Farenheit, but if you can't (or won't) it would be a good idea to keep a cheat sheet. Overall, I love the thing. Works great for homebrewing.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

That's whats turned me off on the build so far. Reading Celsius, I wonder if there is an STC-1000 equivalent that would read Fahrenheit? I know you can get conversion charts to paste up, but I'm going to admit I'm too.... lazy.. to do that. I would be interested if it was in F.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Here's a chart you can print out and tape on top of your controller:
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

You expect people to print it out and apply it with tape to the box to actually have to look at it each time you want to convert the reading? Hey, this is America! We expect things to be the way we want them, all "F'd" up (fahrenheited up...). We don't want to have to look at no stoopid chart. How can we sit on the sofa and get fat if we have to always spend energy figuring stuff out?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

RickBeer wrote:You expect people to print it out and apply it with tape to the box to actually have to look at it each time you want to convert the reading? Hey, this is America! We expect things to be the way we want them, all "F'd" up (fahrenheited up...). We don't want to have to look at no stoopid chart. How can we sit on the sofa and get fat if we have to always spend energy figuring stuff out?
You weren't just fired by jpsherman were you? :laugh
Sibling Brewers
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Here's another chart.
celsiustofahrenheitchar.jpg
celsiustofahrenheitchar.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I think the controller is quite awesome I must say. Planning on picking up a third in the near future. To save a few bucks, rather than use a project box I simply bought a 3-gang outlet box and used a 3-switch cover. Where the controller fits it needs minor trimming but worked like a champ. I probably should have taken a picture after I flushed everything up tho.
stc1000_cr.jpg
stc1000_cr.jpg (162.42 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
SnakefetusBrewing

Post by SnakefetusBrewing »

philm00x wrote:I use one on my brew fridge, and the probe was a lot more accurate than any kitchen thermometer I've used. The only thing I dislike is that it only reads in Celsius. Not to fret, I know how to convert between Celsius and Farenheit, but if you can't (or won't) it would be a good idea to keep a cheat sheet. Overall, I love the thing. Works great for homebrewing.
Well, being Canadian the reading being in Celcius don't really bother me. :whistle:
Beer is Good. Beers Are Better
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

SnakefetusBrewing wrote:Well, being Canadian the reading being in Celcius don't really bother me. :whistle:

Yeah yeah :p lol.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk »

As far as there being a controller that reads in Fahrenheit, I found one on Amazon. It's listed as the Docooler 10A 110V Temperature Controlled Thermocouple. It ran about $13 and looks like it has a similar wiring schematic.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy-Benjamin Franklin
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

nighthawk wrote:As far as there being a controller that reads in Fahrenheit, I found one on Amazon. It's listed as the Docooler 10A 110V Temperature Controlled Thermocouple. It ran about $13 and looks like it has a similar wiring schematic.
Had to take a look at it since reading in fahrenheit seemed like a good idea, although I quickly realized it would confuse the heck out of me having some units in C and others in F. Looks like it would be a fine gadget for a keezer where you only want to use the cooling function, but it seems one of the downsides is it will only do one or the other and not both at the same time. Cons:

1. It can act as a heater controller or cooler controller but not at the same time. There is only one relay connection, so you can either hook up a cooler or a heater and program it to switch on the heater or cooler by temp. Other products have two relays so you can switch on a cooler if the temp gets too high or a heater if it gets too low.
2. Programming is too tedious. It requires a separate button press for each 0.1 degree of change in the temperature setting. The other one would quickly scroll up or down the temp settings as long as the programming button was held down.
3. Instructions are incomprehensible Chineseglish. Thank goodness there were some drawings. Even the marlins for the connections on the unit were in Chinese characters.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company