Preparing For The Impending Snowmagopolypse!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Preparing For The Impending Snowmagopolypse!

Post by berryman »

bpgreen wrote:Why is it that everybody goes out and buys milk, eggs and toilet paper when something like this happen.

And think about it. If the power goes out, do you really want a bunch of eggs sitting around and spoiling?
Toilet paper and homemade beer does work good together, eggs will keep for a long time at room temp or a little below. Milk not so good... :)
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

berryman wrote:
bpgreen wrote:Why is it that everybody goes out and buys milk, eggs and toilet paper when something like this happen.

And think about it. If the power goes out, do you really want a bunch of eggs sitting around and spoiling?
Toilet paper and homemade beer does work good together, eggs will keep for a long time at room temp or a little below. Milk not so good... :)
Eggs will keep for a really long time at room temperature if they're not cleaned and refrigerated. Once they're cleaned, the've got a short lifetime at room temperature.

When I'm home, I ferment my milk into yogurt and kefir, so it can last a really long time.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

bpgreen wrote: Eggs will keep for a really long time at room temperature if they're not cleaned and refrigerated. Once they're cleaned, the've got a short lifetime at room temperature.
Right you are.....................
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

I saw somewhere that eggs will last very long if properly perped. I believe it was on one of the prepper sights. :flag:
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

bpgreen wrote:Why is it that everybody goes out and buys milk, eggs and toilet paper when something like this happen. I swear, even people who are lactose intolerant and allergic to eggs buy milk and eggs. And they'll buy toilet paper even if they went to Costco a week ago and bought several Costco sized packages.

Easy answer. You eat the bad eggs and sour milk and then need the toilet paper.

I always laugh at the idiots that run out and buy shovels, generators, snowblowers, and salt. When December came around, none of them said "hey, let's get out our winter stuff and see what we need"? And where is last year's shovel?

Last year my snowblower's belts were showing their age. I put on the calendar when to buy them, ordered them, and installed them in November, and tested it out (same time I winterize my lawn mowers and weedwackers). Even then I was almost caught off guard by the late November snow we got, but it melted in days and we've had only one storm worth snowblowing since, and it was barely enough.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Pandemonium at the food store, panic anyone?
wegmans.jpg
wegmans.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 615 times
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Oh my god, that's not the craft beer aisle is it? :o
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

berryman wrote: Milk not so good... :)
If someone can't figure out how to keep milk cold when snowed in, they have bigger problems. :D
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Inkleg wrote:
If someone can't figure out how to keep milk cold when snowed in, they have bigger problems. :D
What he said!
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Haha, right. Keeping them from freezing is more of a problem.

"A major east coast storm will affect the area this weekend. Important aspects of this storm are as follows:
12 to 18 inches of snow is expected…with lesser amounts near the coast and in the Poconos and far northwest New Jersey. A Winter Storm Watch is now in effect for the entire region for Friday night into Sunday for heavy snow."
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

ScrewyBrewer wrote: "A major east coast storm will affect the area this weekend. Important aspects of this storm are as follows:
12 to 18 inches of snow is expected…"
Inkleg wrote:

I'm sure berryman will concur, 12-18 inches is just winter in the area's we live in!
:D
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Only 1-3" of snow here Friday-Saturday. That's nothing! :give:
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Hey Steve....do they still blow up the Chagrin River with dynamite to clear the ice jams? I remember hearing that concussion all the way to Mentor when I was young. You know it's bad when you gotta get out the explosives!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

BlackDuck wrote:Hey Steve....do they still blow up the Chagrin River with dynamite to clear the ice jams? I remember hearing that concussion all the way to Mentor when I was young. You know it's bad when you gotta get out the explosives!!!
HA! I have 4 or 5 people I am friends with that were on Eastlake's Dynamite crew, one is at the campground we are at and I play cards with. No they stopped I think in '98 he was telling me, after the had a chunk of ice the size of a good sized shed launch through a boat in dry dock up away from the river. Anymore they just watch river rise and evacuate and hope it doesn't take out the Lakeshore Blvd bridge.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

We're going to get hit with another major storm (if you believe the reports) overnight/tomorrow morning.
The last one that came through on Tuesday hit me with an inch of rain per hour for 2 hours straight before "lightening up" for the rest of the day.

We need the water, but that much at one time causes people on the roads to be stupid. Glad I'm able to work from home on some days.