Hard question, Easy answer

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Hard question, Easy answer

Post by T8rSalad »

Semi-rookie question here: I want to brew a Blackberry Wheat beer using Mr Beer WWW and a bag of booster, 2 cans of WWW (1.21# cans) with Lactose

AND

fresh Blackberries. I want to add the blackberries 5-7 days prior to cold-crashing and bottling. I know I need to add sanitized pureed blackberries. How do I accomplish this fairly easy task? Puree and then boil the pureed blackberries or boil then puree (and then cool of course) prior to adding them to the fermenter??? I ask the Book of Knowledge called the BORG...

TIA and Salud to ye all who respond :thanks: :cheers:
L8r T8r

Fermenting: Quiet Kreek Kolsch Deaux, First Pitch Pilsner Ale Trois

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Hard question, Easy answer

Post by The_Professor »

I think I would just rinse the blackberries well and puree them. Of course every container they are in after rinsing would be sterilized including the blender jar. Have a way to strain the beer off the blackberries before bottling.

If you wanna get paranoid - you could rinse the berries in a really light bleach solution.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I'm with the always-wise professor on this one. Rinse, puree, sanitize everything along the way.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I'd avoid bleach. No telling what that will do to the flavor of the beer if there's any residual. I would soak the whole berries in some vodka then puree them, with or without the vodka, depending on if you want to give the FG a bump.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

I like the neutral spirit method that Alb suggests...

Should kill most bad bugs if not all...

Or, you could drop them into 170*F water and hold them at that temp for 20 minutes and then drain, cool, puree (or just squash them good, easier to get out later).

You could also just use pasturized, no preservative, blackberry juice in the late secondary. I had good luck with 16-32 ounces of Pommegranite juice in a wheat beer I made last year... Was a big hit and all I did was sanitize the outside of the bottle, open it up, pour it in and wait until the yeast were full!

Whatever you do, you don't want to boil them as this will create a pectin problem that cannot be corrected (haze, lots of haze... Will never clear!)

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I use vodka to make a "tincture" of spices, herbs, zest I want to add post boil, etc. often. It works nicely.

And like Big Papa G said, I've done the right out of the bottle with tart cherry juice a few times. Same thing, just sanitize an unopened bottle, open it, and pour it in. Used the whole foods tart cherry with good results.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

All is right on the money. Bleach to me is a bad idea, it would likely impact taste.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

I racked on raspberries recently.
They were frozen, so I thawed them, froze them again, then thawed them. Worked great, basically liquified the berries real easy to work with.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

RickBeer wrote:All is right on the money. Bleach to me is a bad idea, it would likely impact taste.
I guess if paranoid I would ditch the bleach and toss them in some OneStep for a few just like you would a muslin bag when dry hopping.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

:thanks: guys and gals...either vodka and/or sanitizing all utensils and cans like normal works for me.

Salud and may the farsi or pashto be with you.
L8r T8r

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

When I did my Cherry Stout, I used the Oregon Brand canned that MB supplies, sanitized the blender and hop sack and large measuring cup, poured the pureed cherries thru the hop sack and kept the solids in the sack and added it all, juice and sack, to the LBK.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
dbrowning
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by dbrowning »

The_Professor wrote:I think I would just rinse the blackberries well and puree them. Of course every container they are in after rinsing would be sterilized including the blender jar. Have a way to strain the beer off the blackberries before bottling.

If you wanna get paranoid - you could rinse the berries in a really light bleach solution.
Bleach will DESTROY blackberry flavor
Rinse well in COLD water
Puree ... then boil 7 minutes
Adda small amount of water if you need to

Strain into secondary
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

I would nix the bleach, it is a bad idea. Rum or vodka to sanitize the berries, starsan for everything else. I do use bleach as my main sanitizer. I have years of using it as a no rinse sanitizer in food service. If you are unfamiliar with using bleach don't.
A little info on the matter Use of Chlorine Bleach as a Sanitizer
You may also use a campden tablet with the fruit to kill the wildlings or live dangerously and embrace the funk the wild yeast will give :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

Here's the kinda thing I have read about using a light bleach solution. Note that it talks about using "food grade" bleach anf that the solutions mentioned are 1% and 3.5%. Clorox is more like 5%, with the concentrated being around 8%. This always seemed overboard to me unless there was some reason one HAD to use questionable fruit or vegetables. Not a normal situation.

Here is another (newer) article about not using bleach to sanitize fruits or vegetables.

I have also read some people recommend rinsing the fruit well and then freezing it. Supposedly inhibiting bacterial growth and allowing more fruit flavor by bursting some of the (membranes?) in the fruit.

I would still go with rinse and puree myself.

I never do anything with hard alcohol that is going into my beer. I do not soak oak chips in whiskey before using them. I found another method where the wood chips are steamed a couple times to sanitize them.

EDIT: I almost forgot to add that if the fruit is being added to secondary there is already the hop and alcohol presence to inhibit bacterial growth.
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

Along this same recipe line, when should I add the lactose??? I appreciate the great response and assistance
L8r T8r