Cleaning the LBK/LBC

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

blaxbear

Cleaning the LBK/LBC

Post by blaxbear »

If I remember correctly, the MB instructions recommend using unscented soap and a soft cloth to prevent scratching, but I was wondering what you guys use? Anybody use a sponge without the abrasive pad? Or a dishcloth? Any special soaps I might consider using?
Bottled/Drinking: BD Brown, BD Stout, #1 Blaxbear's WIPA (I'm Not Too Hoppy About This)
Brewing: A DIPA without enough hops...
Mulling Over: Irish Red, Oktoberfest, English Pale Ale
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Cleaning the LBK/LBC

Post by FrozenInTime »

I fill my LBK or LBC with water almost to the top, drop in a couple tablespoons of oxyclean free, hold over sink and shake til well mixed. Then set on counter out of the way for a couple-three days (I do pick them up once or twice a day and shake again). Then I drain the soapy water down the sink whilst reserving a small bowl of soapy water (I use this to take apart the spigot and clean it good with it). Rinse/shake with clean water three times, sit upside down on a couple paper towels and let dry for a day, then put up in storage. When ready to use, I put one gallon water and a tablespoon one step in keg, shake well to mix, let stand 30 minutes, shake again and dump water. Turn upside down on paper towel again to drain completely before using again. This has worked for me for well over a hundred batches. I don't put anything in the keg to clean it, no sponge or washcloth, too many chances to scratch/ruin keg.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

A couple of discussions on this topic on the forum already.

I use a sponge that is only for my brewing equipment. I rinse and rinse the crap out of it, fill it with warm water and a drop or two of unscented dish soap. Then I let it sit a few minutes, stick my hand in, and sponge every surface, rinse, rinse, hold it up and inspect it, remove spigot and wash inside and out on the spigot hole, rinse and rinse.

Disassemble spigot and clean it good.

I've never needed Oxiclean on the LBK.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

RickBeer wrote:A couple of discussions on this topic on the forum already.

I use a sponge that is only for my brewing equipment. I rinse and rinse the crap out of it, fill it with warm water and a drop or two of unscented dish soap. Then I let it sit a few minutes, stick my hand in, and sponge every surface, rinse, rinse, hold it up and inspect it, remove spigot and wash inside and out on the spigot hole, rinse and rinse.

Disassemble spigot and clean it good.

I've never needed Oxiclean on the LBK.

+1 unsented soap and sponge is ok. like rickbeer i got a sponge dedicated to just cleaning my brewing equipment.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

And NEVER clean your LBK like this!

I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
blaxbear

Post by blaxbear »

Thanks for the tips guys! I did a quick search, but didn't see a thread specific to what materials folks were sticking in their kegs, so that's why I started this one. Anyway, I think I'll be sticking with the sponge for now.
Bottled/Drinking: BD Brown, BD Stout, #1 Blaxbear's WIPA (I'm Not Too Hoppy About This)
Brewing: A DIPA without enough hops...
Mulling Over: Irish Red, Oktoberfest, English Pale Ale
madman960
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by madman960 »

I soak my lbk in hot water with a cup of vinegar for 15 minutes. Then I take a box of baking soda and sprinkle in some. Probably a few tablespoons. Once it stops fizzing, I let sit 20 more minutes. Take spigot out and soak in hot water. Wipe lbk with a paper towel. Sanitize with star san. Put up til next time. Sanitize again on brew day.

Bill
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

My only addition is to be careful using very hot water. Not only can this cause damage to the LBK but it can also "bake" in odors from the last batch. I use cool water, unscented soap and a sponge. Since I clean my LBK right after bottling, I also slosh the sanitizer I saved from bottling as a final rinse.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"