Recirculation Brewing

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

russki
Russki
Russki

Re: Recirculation Brewing

Post by russki »

Figured I'd post a pic of my eBIAB rig - recirculation FTW! Screwy - their system is nice, but you can build one yourself a lot cheaper if you have some time on your hands.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Beer-lord wrote:I wonder how long it takes to bring 10 gallons of wort to a boil with that system. But, it's out of my price range. Sure would make for an easier brewday.
DS Brewery has a pic of that same system in a BIAB Equipment thread. He may be able to shed some more light on actual times.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=125
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

russki wrote:Figured I'd post a pic of my eBIAB rig - recirculation FTW! Screwy - their system is nice, but you can build one yourself a lot cheaper if you have some time on your hands.
Your system is awesome! I wouldn't mind saying 'I built it myself' either. If you don't mind sharing, the High Gravity system runs about $1,200.00, what would you estimate the cost of my building it?
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Welcome Vince!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I can say without any doubt, that I could never build this. Just don't have the patience, time and mostly, the smarts for this.
Sadly, I can't afford to buy one either. But I love hearing about others doing this!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

ScrewyBrewer wrote: Your system is awesome! I wouldn't mind saying 'I built it myself' either. If you don't mind sharing, the High Gravity system runs about $1,200.00, what would you estimate the cost of my building it?
Definitely under $900; probably around $800 or so, especially if you go 240v - you'll need half of the switchgear I used. It really is not that difficult to build, and I know you got the skills!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

russki wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote: Your system is awesome! I wouldn't mind saying 'I built it myself' either. If you don't mind sharing, the High Gravity system runs about $1,200.00, what would you estimate the cost of my building it?
Definitely under $900; probably around $800 or so, especially if you go 240v - you'll need half of the switchgear I used. It really is not that difficult to build, and I know you got the skills!
Thank you for sharing, that's a significant savings that would cover the cost of running the required 30 amp 220 volt line. If only between moving to a smaller place and packing, I had the available time I would definitely have considered attempting a DIY build. Congratulations on the success of your own system build, it's a challenging project and yours turned out great.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I must be purdy dumb... I still don't get it. To me, the pics look like all your doing is taking wort from the bottom of the pot and dumping it back on top of the grains using a (march?) pump? Like doing a sparge with the wort? This looks complicated to my simple mind.... OUCH... ok, there u did it, made my fat head hurt. OOOOUCH....

screw da beer, I now need my bottle of crown...
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

FrozenInTime wrote:I must be purdy dumb... I still don't get it. To me, the pics look like all your doing is taking wort from the bottom of the pot and dumping it back on top of the grains using a (march?) pump? Like doing a sparge with the wort? This looks complicated to my simple mind.... OUCH... ok, there u did it, made my fat head hurt. OOOOUCH....

screw da beer, I now need my bottle of crown...
The other benefits are in the PID controller, it maintains all the mash, sparge and boil temperatures automatically. It's pretty much set up the temperatures, the durations and come back an hour or so later to remove the grains. I read where this type of brewing system can shave 3 hours off of my manual infusion mash and fly sparging brew day.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Bump :wow: I can't believe it's been 4 years since I've updated my original post
mashing-sml.jpg
mashing-sml.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 720 times