Dry, Crisp?

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

pocketjr
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Dry, Crisp?

Post by pocketjr »

Ok, so.... I made the best possible batch of Mr Beer I have ever made in the 2-3 years I've been brewing. Simply 1 can of Canadian Blonde and 1 can of Classic American Light.

I also learned that I need to get a journal. I didn't take any gravity readings on this brew, but luckily the batch was simple enough that I can remember what I did..... the 2 cans of extract and both packets of yeast. That's it.

Now I can't decide if I want to tweak this bugger. It was very clean and dry and crisp, a combination I thoroughly enjoy. I have some safale yeast in my fridge as well as a packet of Citra hops. I'm not sure the Citra will make this brew better. And honestly, I don't know what the difference between the yeast included with the MB cans is, and the Safale in my fridge.

Anyone have any ideas? Or even a whole new recipe I could try for a similar dry/crisp brew?
Lenwoode & Merle
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Dry, Crisp?

Post by Gymrat »

Citra hops would actually be really good in there. That is one nice thing about small batches and the ease of Mr Beer brewing. You can brew two batches of that stuff, and add the citra hops to one and not to the other. Then do a side by side comparison.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Hey neat. Glad to hear that worked for you. I did an American ALe + CAL and an OctoberFest + CAL. They are bottled and I'm waiting another couple of weeks to try them. Hopefully they turn out as well as the Canadian + CAL.

Monty
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

That's awesome I have a can of CAL and trying to think what to do with it.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Yeah its really only useful when mixed into something else. I've tried and tried to make something of the CAL, but I can't lager and it aint an ale. So I use it as LME until it's gone.

@Beerrust, I did the RCE last weekend. And I made oatmeal. :( Don't do more than steep the oats. I left it in water too long and got oatmeal.

Monty
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

monsteroyd wrote:Yeah its really only useful when mixed into something else. I've tried and tried to make something of the CAL, but I can't lager and it aint an ale. So I use it as LME until it's gone.

@Beerrust, I did the RCE last weekend. And I made oatmeal. :( Don't do more than steep the oats. I left it in water too long and got oatmeal.

Monty
Oh man . Did you put them in a sack and steep them? That is what I was planning on doing. Then taking the oats out.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Haha you are smart i dumped them in watEr like you know like you make oatmeal. Dohhh...