BIAB Filtering/Straining

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

charlieb

BIAB Filtering/Straining

Post by charlieb »

I'm not sure really what to call it so I listed it as filtering/straining. So pardon me if my verbiage is incorrect.

I have a very very basic BIAB set-up. I have a turkey fryer kit. I converted the pot to a brew pot. A very generic one at that.

I am getting lots of unwanted sediment from the boil into my fermenter. Not the end of the world but I want a bit less than is coming through. I also want to stop using hop sacks for better hop utilization.

I do not have a screen of false bottom or anything to help me reduce sediment other than using whirlfloc tabs.

Can anyone offer some suggestions/tips on 'cleaning' up my process a bit?

Yes I would love a better brew pot and some other items, but right now that isn't possible.
Beer-lord

Re: BIAB Filtering/Straining

Post by Beer-lord »

Truth be told, my somewhat expensive false bottom doesn't do a whole lot for me. I have lots of junk and I mean, lots of it and rarely use hop sacks while boiling and I have a very good strainer that I strain into my fermentation bucket. I find that not only does it keep a lot of the funk out, but it helps aerate the wort a bit.
Many times, I will strain into bucket number 1 then strain that bucket into bucket number 2. I do this when I use lots of hops and find it helps alot.
I have 3 very good quality BIAB bags and it amazes me just how much crap still gets out though most of my junk is from hop particulate.

I couldn't find any strainers locally that I liked so I got this one which I've used 2-3 brews a month for almost 2 years. It's strong and cleans pretty easily.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... cddad2774a
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
charlieb

Post by charlieb »

Beer-lord wrote:Truth be told, my somewhat expensive false bottom doesn't do a whole lot for me. I have lots of junk and I mean, lots of it and rarely use hop sacks while boiling and I have a very good strainer that I strain into my fermentation bucket. I find that not only does it keep a lot of the funk out, but it helps aerate the wort a bit.
Many times, I will strain into bucket number 1 then strain that bucket into bucket number 2. I do this when I use lots of hops and find it helps alot.
I have 3 very good quality BIAB bags and it amazes me just how much crap still gets out though most of my junk is from hop particulate.

I couldn't find any strainers locally that I liked so I got this one which I've used 2-3 brews a month for almost 2 years. It's strong and cleans pretty easily.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... cddad2774a
Just a good old strainer eh? Cool. Thanks for the input beerlord :)
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Your welcome.
Others use muslin bags to strain the wort into and then just dispose of them or clean them out and reuse. I will say that I have to empty my strainer 3-4 times for a 5-6 gallon batch.
Whirlpooling doesn't seem to help me much but might work somewhat for you too.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

When I did straight-up BIAB, I would get alot of gunk into the fermenter too, but truth be told, it all settles out over the course of the fermentation and does not affect the finished product in any way. My recommendation is to RDWHAHB.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I get sediment too, but using a paint strainer bag over the fermenter opening helps get a lot of the gunk out. I'm never really too particular about how much comes out when I pour my wort into the fermenter. It ends up being part of the trub. If I was looking to make my beers crystal clear, I'd be more careful about getting solids out of the wort to help promote clarity.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra