Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

SelfFueled
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Malto Dextrin

Post by SelfFueled »

Malto Dextrin

Who uses it and when?

When I first started brewing (just a couple months now) I read a lot about people using it for adding head,
adding mouthfeel and adding body.
Now that I got me some, I searched a bit again and it seems it is not used much.
I suppose some/most grains in AG batches add enough body/mouthfeel that it may not be necessary.

Would it be ok to add some to any batch/recipe (maybe just MB recipes or HME/extract?)

I planned on using it, but now kinda afraid/
I guess I need to brew up two of the same recipes and add some to one, just to see what happens.

Any insight or info on the dextrin would be greatly appreciated :thanks:
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Malto Dextrin

Post by Brewbirds »

If you are familiar with carapils it is basically a powdered form of that grain.
We usually add 1/4 lb. carapils to most of our batches for improved head retention etc. but our LHBS was out so we got some maltodextrin instead.
You can add an ounce toward the end of your boil or at flame for an LBK size batch. Like DME it is difficult to dissolve without clumping so you may want to withhold a 1/2 of your brew water to make a slurry of it and warm water first. :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

And FWIW I read a while ago that steeping Carapils is only about 20% effective so the use of Malto Dextrine in its place (assuming your aren't mashing) should provide more of what you want - body, mouthfeel ,etc.

I'll see if I can find my old post/link on the interwebz.

Edit to add: Here's the content I posted last year. I'll provide a link as well but I'm not sure how cached pages and/or the MrB site will handle it.
While poking around on other boards (yes, I cheat on you all) I came across a discussion about using Cara-Pils the way we always have and recommend to new brewers who want to add body/mouthfeel, etc.
What I read was that Cara-Pils must be mashed which goes against what I was taught so I went and did a lot of searching on the topic, including the MoreBeer site where I buy my grains (on-site).
The conclusion is that Cara-Pils must be mashed with other diastatic grains to fully take advantage of it. Steeping it only gives you about 20% utilization.
"Cara malts are produced by adding a step to the malt production known as "stewing." In this process, the grain is heated to about 158 degrees while moist and held for a couple of hours - much like a miniature mash. This process converts some of the starches to sugars."
Obviously when we steep this we're extracting those sugars that HAVE converted, but we're also extracting the starch that hasn't. What was eye-opening for me what the 20% utilization rate by steeping only and the subsequent effect that the starch could have on your extract batches (haze).
I've been known to use Cara-pils in my MrB seasonal brews, but not much else and haven't noticed a problem with haze but I only use 1/4lb when I do. It might just not be enough to contribute much in that sense. I never use it in my AG batches because I have enough grain to contribute to the mouthfeel already (for my taste).
In any case, I just thought it would be good to share this information so that it can be taken into account going forward. It seems the better recommendation for adding mouthfeel to extract brews at this point is to use maltodextrin and just boil for a few minutes before adding your HME/UME.
I've found that Briess says that their Carapils can be steeped but the consensus (that i can find anyway) is that you will still only get 20% utilization. So while you can steep it, it doesn't mean that you should.
Here's a blurb from the MoreBeer site (they carry Briess):
"1.5L Briess - This malt adds body and improves head retention, but does not change color or flavor. Also called Dextrine malt. Only about 20% utilization when steeped in an extract batch. A great malt to take advantage of in all grain brewing."
Ultimately it's Brewer's Choice[sup]TM[/sup] of course, but based on this reading I'm inclined to start using maltodextrin in my extract batches to see if there's a noticeable difference.
By my math if I was using 4oz. in a MrB batch and only getting 20% utilization than it was really like I was steeping with only 0.8oz which is negligible. Next time I do a MrB batch (which will be a while) I'll try adding 3-4oz of maltodextrin to see how it goes.
Granted it won't be an apples-to-apples comparison but it should provide some general clues as to the difference.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I use Carafoam in all my batches. 4oz for each Mr. Beer batch. Steeped.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

RickBeer wrote:I use Carafoam in all my batches. 4oz for each Mr. Beer batch. Steeped.
+1

CaraFoam works great...!

:cool:
SelfFueled
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by SelfFueled »

Kealia wrote:And FWIW I read a while ago that steeping Carapils is only about 20% effective so the use of Malto Dextrine in its place (assuming your aren't mashing) should provide more of what you want - body, mouthfeel ,etc.

I'll see if I can find my old post/link on the interwebz.

Edit to add: Here's the content I posted last year. I'll provide a link as well but I'm not sure how cached pages and/or the MrB site will handle it.

That is some awesome info...thanks for the link!

I'll have to try out both malto and carapils...see what more effective for me.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Brewbirds wrote:If you are familiar with carapils it is basically a powdered form of that grain.
We usually add 1/4 lb. carapils to most of our batches for improved head retention etc. but our LHBS was out so we got some maltodextrin instead.
You can add an ounce toward the end of your boil or at flame for an LBK size batch. Like DME it is difficult to dissolve without clumping so you may want to withhold a 1/2 of your brew water to make a slurry of it and warm water first. :cheers:
just 1 oz for a lbk size batch?
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

According to the LHBS who was out of carapils at the time yes. I don't have any ready to taste yet so I may post here later.

Another thing I've noticed just FWIW is that when the carapils were restocked they were reddish in color verses the ones we usually got. So apparently there is also something called carapils malt. I still have to look that up and will I verify what is up will post that.

As far as the 20% utilization when steeping all the batches we did that on were MB stuff and have been on the shelf "conditioning" due to the infamous twang so I can't say if it added anything.

I just saw one of Screwy's post as a newbie and did it. Hope to be able to drink them some day.
Sibling Brewers
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Brewbirds wrote: Another thing I've noticed just FWIW is that when the carapils were restocked they were reddish in color verses the ones we usually got.
So, I have seen both CaraPils and Belgian CaraPils...

The Belgian usually runs about 11-13*L (and sometimes a little higher) compared to U.S. caraPils wich is typically in the mid single digits.

Hope this helps...

:borg:
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

I've always used 4 oz, give or take, of Maltodextrin for an LBK sized batch. Preferably, 4 oz of steeped, or added to mash, carapils. Last time I went to LHBS they were out of carapils, but I was steered to Torrified Wheat by the guy that was helping me. I just used it in a batch of extract wheat beer, so I'll know soon enough if it's any good. He said it would work just like carapils, in any beer, not just wheat. I kinda mini-mashed it with amylase enzyme instead of just steeping it. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Last edited by joechianti on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Any kind of wheat is good for body and head retention. If I'm not on a clarity-kick, I use a bit of wheat in just about everything for that reason.