On the (brewing) road again

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

On the (brewing) road again

Post by FrozenInTime »

Trying to catch up on my (lack of) brewing the past year or so. The past couple months I've brewed/kegged 10 gallons of Honey Hard Cider at 6% (using apples from our trees), a strong/bitter IPA that should have been ~6.5 but came out at 9.7%, a Honey Kolsch at 5% (first time doing one of these), and an American version Hefeweizen at 5.5%. Only the cider hit it's number, the rest came out higher than expected. Guess I need to brew more and work on my weights/numbers a little better. I have grains crushed now for my Munich Helles and Bavarian Hefeweizen. I'm saved the yeast from recent batches to re-use, actually doing a good wash the past week with them. WLP029 and a WLP300.

:jumpy: :jumpy:
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: On the (brewing) road again

Post by bpgreen »

6.5->9.7 is quite a difference.

Was your og way higher than expected or did the yeast attenuated that much more than expected?
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

OG was higher than expected and the yeast (S-04) attenuated more than expected. I don't really understand why it was off sooo much. This was a kit I ordered, expected all grain and they shipped an extract kit so I just went with it. I added nothing extra, only used what came in the kit. Mostly I just put together my own but the kit came out less than what I could get the ingredients for. Surprisingly, the sample I pulled was pretty good albeit more bitter and stronger than usual so I will let it condition til fall. With our short summers, that won't be long... LOL
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Wow. It's surprising for an extract kit to come in with a higher than expected og. Yeast is less predictable.

Hope it ends up tasting good. That's the most important criterium.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FrozenInTime wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:37 pm OG was higher than expected and the yeast (S-04) attenuated more than expected. I don't really understand why it was off sooo much. This was a kit I ordered, expected all grain and they shipped an extract kit so I just went with it. I added nothing extra, only used what came in the kit. Mostly I just put together my own but the kit came out less than what I could get the ingredients for. Surprisingly, the sample I pulled was pretty good albeit more bitter and stronger than usual so I will let it condition til fall. With our short summers, that won't be long... LOL
It sounds to me like they gave you just as many pounds of extract as you would have gotten in grains. That would give you about that kind of difference in OG.