Peanut Butter Irish Stout

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Norman__Snorz

Peanut Butter Irish Stout

Post by Norman__Snorz »

I am interested in brewing a Peanut Butter Stout using BD Irish Stout. I will be using PB2...my question is, when would I add the peanut butter flavoring. Do I add it when I boil the water, or would I add it to the wort after I bring it up to the final level? Thanx to all for any recommendations.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Peanut Butter Irish Stout

Post by mashani »

You don't need to boil it, but you do need to at the very least make sure its pasteurized. With the process your using, I think when you turn off the burner you can mix it in, then let it stand for say 10 minutes. Then top up as you like. Or you could in a separate pot boil a little water, mix it in and let it stand, and then add that solution as part of your topping up process.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Peanut Butter Irish Stout

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I recently made a 5G Peanut Butter Cup Imperial Stout recipe from Midwest Supplies. Their recipe said 2 weeks in the primary fermenter before adding the Peanut Butter and cocoa nibs, then an additional 2-4 weeks in secondary fermenter, then at least 2 weeks in the bottles.

I added the PB2 and the cocoa nibs after 2 weeks, left it in the primary fermenter for another 4 weeks and then 4 weeks in bottle for carbonating/conditioning. I'll be trying it out this Saturday and see how it tastes. I probably could have bottled it after 4 weeks instead of the 6 weeks, but figured it could use the extra time in the fermenter due to it being a stronger recipe than I normally brew.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews