So this happened

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: So this happened

Post by bpgreen »

Thanks for the info.

I've usually just watched TV while cycling on the dumb trainer, but since it looks like this is going to be most of how I ride until next spring, one of the apps (using chromecast to send to my tv) would probably be well worth it.

The trainer had coupons for a free month on Zwift and Rouvy, so I will check them out. I'll also take a look at RTG. I also read a review on dcrainmaker about a new free app (gowhoosh) that I might look at.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If you do SSTs or Zone 2 steady state workouts or similar, then you can watch TV and use ERG mode and it will just make you always hit the watts so you can just watch TV and not worry about your workout. But for plans that have hard intervals, you really will want to know that they are about to happen so you can prepare, as effort will go from meh... to argh!... very fast when they hit... so TV watching might not be the best thing for those.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'm kind of adjusting to the loss of vision, but every once in a while, I get a reminder. I was walking on the sidewalk today and stopped somebody from pulling into her driveway. She probably would've waited for me anyway, but it was a surprise to see a big suv suddenly appear.

I put my dumb trainer in its carrying case and got the smart trainer set up. I put the tri bike on it, downloaded firmware updates, connected it to my bike computer.

Then I went to calibrate. First thing it tells me is to accelerate ri 21 mph.

I'm 64. And slow. And under doctor's orders not to over exert. 21 mph isn't going to happen.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You may be able to set the resistance to a low setting and then do "21" mph as far as wheel speed without actually having to push 21 mph of road / wind feeling resistance.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'll have to give it another try. Maybe if I'm fresh and clipped in it'll make a difference. Somebody said that I won't need to keep it at 21, just get there and then show down. I think I should be able to get to 21 for a short amount of time.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Got on while rested and got to 34 mph. Calibration complete.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

A couple of updates.

I'm still restricted from cycling outdoors. I haven't started a subscription to a cycling app, but I think I need to do that because I'm currently only riding for 10-15 minutes.

They've cleared me to drive.

I'm going to ask why I'm not able to ride when I have my next visit. I bought cycling goggles to protect my eyes, but the concern may be more related to bleeding since I'm on baby aspirin and an also a bleeder.

After all of this, I started doing some thinking and looked into COBRA rules.

I've decided to retire after completing some tasks that are currently on my plate.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I had another doctor's appointment today. I'm cleared to ride outside with some conditions. I can ride on paved trails, but not on streets. And I'm only supposed to ride at a moderate pace and not push too hard. So I drove to the trailhead and rode a couple of miles, turned around and rode back. I was supposed to wear some goggles that I bought for additional eye protection, but forgot. I've now got them in my helmet so I'll be more likely to remember them next time.

I'm also cleared to participate in the indoor triathlon (swim in the pool, staionary bike, run around indoor track) this winter at the South Davis Recreation Center (with conditions). I can participate, but I have to take it easy and not try to go fast, so I'll swim and cycle at a steady pace and jog or run/walk.

I'm supposed to stop lifting weights and probably shouldn't have been lifting since my stroke, but I don't think wightlifting came up when I was in the hospital.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Oops. Double post
Last edited by bpgreen on Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Glad to hear that you're getting some clearance to keep doing what you enjoy - albeit modified.

It's easy to say from a distance, but things could have been much worse, right?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:09 pm Glad to hear that you're getting some clearance to keep doing what you enjoy - albeit modified.

It's easy to say from a distance, but things could have been much worse, right?
Obviously, I would prefer that I hadn't gotten a stroke at all.

But when I think of possible stroke outcomes, I feel very lucky. I've lost most of the vision in one eye, but I still have the same vision in the other eye that I had before (very near sighted, but correctable).

Some people lose cognitive ability, or become paralyzed on one side, or they can understand but not speak (or vice versa). Many people go from being independent to living in nursing homes.

So whenever I start to feel sorry for myself that I can't see much out of my right eye, I remind myself of some of the other stroke outcomes and feel thankful for what happened to me.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Since I'm pretty sure he isn't on here, I'll post this.

When you workout at the same place at around the same time, you run into the same people on a regular basis.

I swam with a fellow triathlete on several occasions, and when he saw me last week, he commented that he hadn`t seen me for a while. So I explained why.

I saw him again today and we chatted, and ended up walking to our cars together. At one point, he was talking about how hard it was to run in the heat and he said "I was running and just feeling awful, like I was having a stro oh heart attack.. Not
really, but I just felt awful." I pretended not to notice what he almost said. Honestly, it wouldn't have bothered me if he had said it.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Another post stroke first.

At my last followup with the neurologist, I got a very tentative ok to bike on actual roads (with lots of caveats and concerns). Today, I took a somewhat leisurely ride around the neighborhood (with goggles over my glasses). I came to almost complete stops at every intersection where there might be traffic on the right, didn't ride on any busy streets (well, maybe once for about a block, but in the right hand lane and no turns), and didn't ride very fast.

I'm trying to build up to being able to ride to the pool again (busier streets). It's getting too dark for that, but by the time I'm ready for it, I think I'll be retired, so I'll be able to do it during the day.

I posted the above to Facebook.

I'll add a little for @mashani, since he mentored me.

The tri bike is on the trainer. My vector 3s stopped working, but since the tri bike is on the trainer, it wasn't a priority (trainer has a power meter). I called Garmin support Friday, and I think they're going to give me a deal on a refurb. This was used and bought on aliexpress (lessin learned), but Garmin is really good about supporting their products, even when out of warranty.

I'm now using my road bike with mountain bike pedals and got the velocomp power meter working today,
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Glad you're back in the saddle and I hope you mend quickly!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Glad you are able to ride!

RE the velocomp, I'd worry more about just doing your things safely on the road then watching your power meter numbers right now. Just load them up at home and geek out on the data post ride I'd say.