DIY glycol chiller

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

DIY glycol chiller

Post by berryman »

Have been thinking on this for a while. Been using a fermentation cabinet that I built in the MR Beer days that Screwy came up with and would switch out Ice bottles, Modified it later and put a dorm fridge in with some temp control, it works. But sill have to lift it out to gravity into a bottling bucket or now a keg, also just one temp at a time and I like doing some lagers but like to make some quicker ales also and can't do both the same time. I have a spare 5 cu ft freezer, My plan is to put a water/ glycol mix in it with temp control on the freezer, pumps in the bottom and with another temp controler to turn the pump/pumps on as needed. A true close to a $1000 glycal chiller unit has the coils in the small reservoir with a pump in the bottom.They take up a small footprint for what can do, but cost. My plan is to do it all in my freezer that already have. I need to buy some things and spend some money also. [url][https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/fts ... onical/url] Thoughts if in the right direction ,
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: DIY glycol chiller

Post by berryman »

After doing more research, I am not so sure I want to go with my chest freezer idea. Just putting a container of glycol mix would not work very efficiently, if you wanted to half or more fill the freezer with solution it would probably be more efficient but would take a lot of glycol. My newest idea and what have been finding on the web is to use a air conditioner unit and with some modifications would be more like a boughten unit. I have 2 good size air conditioners that aren’t very old and work good, that is the direction am heading now. I have pretty good fermentation temp control now but I don’t like lifting and I think that also defeats some of the benefits of cold crashing by lifting and moving around.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: DIY glycol chiller

Post by John Sand »

I thought about glycol and a dorm fridge when I was using a cooler with ice packs. I bought a chest freezer and temp control instead. There are times I do two different batches with different temps, but one gets ambient with minor assists.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.