34/70 vrs S-23

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

34/70 vrs S-23

Post by berryman »

I have a Munich Helles that is coming up, I brewed it last year and really liked it. I used 3 packs 34/70 1.056 @55-57 degs. Was wondering what would be like with s-23 at the same temp range? Or should I just do it like last time and was very happy with it. What is the difference on them 2 dry lager yeast? I have found that 34/70 is a very forgiving lager yeast and way easier then say wlp 833 at 48-50 degs. that I did a maibock with and came out very good too.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: 34/70 vrs S-23

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:57 pm I have a Munich Helles that is coming up, I brewed it last year and really liked it. I used 3 packs 34/70 1.056 @55-57 degs. Was wondering what would be like with s-23 at the same temp range? Or should I just do it like last time and was very happy with it. What is the difference on them 2 dry lager yeast? I have found that 34/70 is a very forgiving lager yeast and way easier then say wlp 833 at 48-50 degs. that I did a maibock with and came out very good too.
My experience is that ultimately you won't be able to tell the difference if you spend the time lagering it when finished instead of cracking one right away, and stay within reasonable fermentation temp ranges which those are. During fermentation the S-23 will smell less sulfur and more fruity, but the fruity goes away with time, just like the sulfur goes away with time. I wouldn't hesitate to use either yeast. The mangrove jack equivalents are also good yeasts. I would just use whatever is most economical that you can get your hands on.