Bottle, or Keg then Bottle?

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Bottle, or Keg then Bottle?

Post by John Sand »

I plan to make a small batch to set aside until December, maybe even the following year. I don't want to tie up a keg, or put it on tap for any length of time, it's going in bottles. I have a Tapcooler bottle filler. Would you keg carb then bottle, or just bottle with priming sugar? Why? Thanks.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Re: Bottle, or Keg then Bottle?

Post by Beer-lord »

I honestly don't know but would think that bigger and darker beers would benefit from true bottle conditioning while lighter beers would not. But I'm sure either should work well.
What kind of beer are you storing?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Since you've got a bottle filler, I vote for kegging it, drawing a few beers to make sure it's carbed the way you want it and it's pouring clear, then bottle.

I think you'll end up with less bottle trub that way, although as long as you're going to condition it, if you bottle prime, it'll settle and compact enough that you won't get any when you pour.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

John, what are you making that you want to store it that long? A barley wine or something that needs a lot of aging? And are looking for the clarity you will get from kegging. vrs bottle trub? I would be lean towards bottling with some good oxi-caps, with out not really knowing what you got planned.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks guys. It's Christmas Beer. I used to make and keg it every year, but never finished it. The leftovers were bottled from the keg. I still have a few bottles of 2020 in the basement, 7% abv, dark, sweet and spiced. It held up well. Usually I brew it in the summer, but I expect to have time over the winter for a two gallon batch, which will probably hold me through the next two years. My current recipe is from Gordon Strong's Modern Homebrew Recipes.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Honestly, I don't think it's going to matter. As others have mentioned the only variable that I would consider is clarity/bottle trub.

Clearly since you've bottled before and stored them, oxidation is not a concern.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If I had kegs, I'd only keg things I wanted to start drinking right away.