AA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Re: What would you do?

Post by Beer-lord »

I've never seen Magnum that low. I've seen 7 1/2 but usually, it's 12 or higher, right?
To answer your question, I'd use more of it. :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

usually use magnum or warrior for bittering.
never saw magnum with such a low AA.

did it come from morebeer?
bet the listing didn't show 2.3 as the low end of its AA's.

i'd be inclined to complain and ask them to send you something else ...
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I had that Yakima "American Noble Hops" branded Simcoe that I used in a few batches. It was like 3% AA, but they sold it as "you should used it as if it was a noble hop", not like it was something you should use like Simcoe. Yakima has about 20 kinds of hops that they sell as "American Noble Hops" that are all really low AA like that but otherwise are American types. I don't know if it's just batches that came out not bitter, or if it's de-bittered, or a mix of both.

In any case, I agree just use more of it. Not gonna hurt anything as a bittering hop. (except your pocket book I guess).

I supposed it could be a typo though and it is actually 12.3% AA.

Only one way to find out! (Hell I'm making beer with grains that I have no idea what they are, so there ya go).

EDIT: Thinking about it what I might do (in case of typo) is to use the whole thing as a bittering addition for a hop forward IPA. If it's 12.3% you will end up with something very old school West Coast like. If it's 2.3% you will end up with something that is more like a NEIPA. Either way it will be good as long as you don't mind either extreme. You could also do the same with a British style IPA base, one way you will end up with a bitter old school British style IPA, the other way you will end up with something more like an ESB. I like all the things, so it would just be a fun surprise.
Last edited by mashani on Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I called morebeer, I told the girl on the phone I wasn't mad or anything but just wondering if they could have been miss marked as I have used a lot of Magnum and never seen them close to that low. She looked something up and says shows here they should be close to 17 AA, but said when her boss came back she said will check and e-mail a answer, I never got a reply, I didn't use them on this batch and put together some other hops as this was just for bittering and a one shot @60 deal. I will use them either as Mash said or on a late addition in something and see what Magnum brings on a late or flame-out to the table. All is good.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, I used magnum as a 20 minute addition once and it came out somewhat spicy and earthy (like nutmeg earthy).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote:FWIW, I used magnum as a 20 minute addition once and it came out somewhat spicy and earthy (like nutmeg earthy).

Either Early or late will make beer and will be interesting to see how it comes out. I will figure something out for them next year as I think I just brewed the last beer for the year, but might fit one more in, in December.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison