London vrs 04

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

London vrs 04

Post by berryman »

Is Lallemand London the same strain as s-04? Or what different to expect?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: London vrs 04

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote:Is Lallemand London the same strain as s-04? Or what different to expect?
Not at all the same.

It is not quite as "soft". I is pretty neutral but does produce some slight stone fruit and apple esters, and can have a more mineraly kind of flavor profile. Nothing radical, no phenols, it just lets the water profile come through more, IE if you were to use Burton water you would notice it more in the end result.

It does not ferment maltotriose at all. So it will attenuate about 10% less then S-04, possibly a little bit more or less depending on wort composition / mash temps. If you see negative reviews on the internet about that yeast, that's what they will all be complaining about. Those people are morons, the yeast is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, they just didn't RTFM.

If you want it to attenuate more that's easy, mash at low temps IE 147, and for longer, and/or substitute some sugar for some of the malt. Some kind of Belgian candi syrup or other invert sugar (Lyles golden syrup for example) would be perfect as a substitute for some light crystal malts for example. That is totally cool in authentic old school British beers. But if you don't you can get a nice bitter or ESB where you can use less malt and end up with a lower ABV, but still get the full malt flavor profile and proper body that way. It is also a great yeast for making Milds because of this behavior.

If you are fermenting on the warmer end or it gets too warm, it doesn't produce the weird sourdough like flavor that S-04 can make if you ferment warm, instead just slightly more esters.

Anyways, *I* like that yeast a lot, at "real ale" temps. Where I prefer to use S-04 as an S-05 replacement at lower temps where I want a clearer beer.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

TY, just used it in a spiced beer and will try instead of 04 what usually use.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Mash, a little more aggressive then I thought would be. Had to switch from 3 piece to a blow off in less then 24 hours. all is fine now. I bet will hit FG in a couple more days, but will let it go as always longer. 68-70. looking for 1.018 mashed @152 and no added sugar.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Nice!
I use London Ale III in my stouts and Christmas Ale, not sure if it's related.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I really liked the end results with this yeast and grain combo for a pumpkin spice I made and still drinking on. No pumpkin was used for the first time and have been making one for a long time. I attribute it a lot on the yeast. I am going to make a Christmas Ale/winter warmer about the same base but with different spices and pump up the ABV a few points. Going to work on the recipe tomorrow to get the stuff ordered.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Nice. Yes, I really like that yeast, it's just a matter of understanding it's behavior and making sure it fits your recipe and not being an "attenuation weenie" which some brewers seem to be.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

mashani wrote:Nice. Yes, I really like that yeast, it's just a matter of understanding it's behavior and making sure it fits your recipe and not being an "attenuation weenie" which some brewers seem to be.
I try not to be the 'attenuation weenie' but my natural weenie demeanor is so strong I can't help myself.
Probably the reason I use liquid yeasts so much more. A bit more work but for me and my process, it just works better.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black