Farmhouse Saison

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Farmhouse Saison

Post by berryman »

One or two packs of Belle on a mid 1.080's beer at room temp. fermentation?
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Farmhouse Saison

Post by mashani »

That yeast is a domesticated Saccharomyces cerevisiae variety diastaticus. It makes its own enzymes to break down large sugar chains and starches. AKA it is nuts. It to me seems even more aggressive then the liquid French Saison strain.

2 packs will quite possibly take that down to 1.001 or 0.997 or something dumb like that.

1 pack could too, but it is possible that maybe it will end up more like 1.005/6 and not so stupid high ABV and maybe a bit of body/residual sugar. But I would be cautious and wait a bit to bottle, because it might still take it down to 1.001 given enough time. But since you keg that's not so much a problem.

I've never had it finish above 1.004 actually no matter what I've done (that was a 1.08 beer) and I've never pitched 2 packs in 5 gallons. Normally 1 pack takes me down to more like the 0.997 in most of what I brew.

1 pack certainly will not stall out and die at 1.020 or something like that. Bella will eat anything. It doesn't matter if you mash high or low. It doesn't matter if you don't mash long enough to pass a starch test - it will eat that too. Crystal malts? Dextrin malts? Nah... eats those too. It's hangry like that.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I decided to go with just one pack, I have used this yeast a lot a few years ago with just 1 pack and good results, but was before I started loosely going by the Brewers Friend calculator. I am using a more beer kit https://www.morebeer.com/products/belgi ... llons.html and most likely will be on the low side of the projected og with that size of a grain bill.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've never made that kit, but your gonna be a Drunken Farmer if your not careful LOL.