Woe is me!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Woe is me!

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:
Kealia wrote:Where and how does this apply? I just went through Utah on my way to Yellowstone and stopped at a brewery in Heber City where I got a flight of 4 beers/tasters.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I guess I haven't kept up to date on the changes in liquor laws. A new law was passed in 2019 and a flight is now legal as long as it is not more than 5% ABV and has a total of 16 fl oz or less (2 8 oz glasses, 4 4 oz glasses, 8 2 oz glasses, etc).

That may have been the same time they increased the amount of alcohol in beer sold in grocery stores from 3.2% ABW (4% ABV) to 5% ABV. The initial proposal was to increase to 6%. Ironically, the push to lower to 5% came from local breweries, because they thought the higher limit would lead to increased competition from national breweries.
I know that the pitchers (yes pitchers) of 3.2% beer we got at the Provo Private Club of very bad BYU students, with palm trees, bikini kill / 'splotation B movies and videos of giant flame throwing and threshing machine robot battles out in the desert, actually tasted pretty good, IE there was stuff like Redhook ESB that tasted like actual Redhook ESB, you couldn't really tell it wasn't actually 5+%. You could drink the whole pitcher without getting trashed, so that was ok. I think a pitcher was supposed to be for the group at your table, we just had very small groups of 1 and/or our own table. They had lots of very small tables... LOL.

I got my "membership" from an x-communicated woman co-worker (because she would take no shit from the Mormon patriarchy, which apparently isn't how it's supposed to work).

I wonder if that place is still there. It was just down the road from a place that had good fish tacos, right in downtown Happy Valley.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

bpgreen wrote:
Kealia wrote:Where and how does this apply? I just went through Utah on my way to Yellowstone and stopped at a brewery in Heber City where I got a flight of 4 beers/tasters.

I guess I haven't kept up to date on the changes in liquor laws. A new law was passed in 2019 and a flight is now legal as long as it is not more than 5% ABV and has a total of 16 fl oz or less (2 8 oz glasses, 4 4 oz glasses, 8 2 oz glasses, etc).

That may have been the same time they increased the amount of alcohol in beer sold in grocery stores from 3.2% ABW (4% ABV) to 5% ABV. The initial proposal was to increase to 6%. Ironically, the push to lower to 5% came from local breweries, because they thought the higher limit would lead to increased competition from national breweries.
Yeah, it was 4 4oz glasses = 16oz total.

Sounds like things change constantly over there.....it must be hard to keep up.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
bpgreen wrote:

I know that the pitchers (yes pitchers) of 3.2% beer we got at the Provo Private Club of very bad BYU students, with palm trees, bikini kill / 'splotation B movies and videos of giant flame throwing and threshing machine robot battles out in the desert, actually tasted pretty good, IE there was stuff like Redhook ESB that tasted like actual Redhook ESB, you couldn't really tell it wasn't actually 5+%. You could drink the whole pitcher without getting trashed, so that was ok. I think a pitcher was supposed to be for the group at your table, we just had very small groups of 1 and/or our own table. They had lots of very small tables... LOL.

I got my "membership" from an x-communicated woman co-worker (because she would take no shit from the Mormon patriarchy, which apparently isn't how it's supposed to work).

I wonder if that place is still there. It was just down the road from a place that had good fish tacos, right in downtown Happy Valley.
I remember the clubs and memberships. But they went away a long time ago. I think that by the time they went away, they had become a bit of a joke. If I remember correctly, to get a membership, you needed to be sponsored by somebody who knew you. Of course, the guy checking memberships had to be a member. So he'd introduce himself to a non member, then sponsor him for a one day membership, and it basically became a cover charge.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Sounds like things change constantly over there.....it must be hard to keep up.
This wasn't a "law" but it was more of a Mormon rule which was enforced where I worked and by the very nature of Provo (90%+ Mormon at least when I was there)…

So once all caffeinated beverages were bad. No coffee. No tea. No caffeinated sodas.

Then some high up in the Mormon church had a revelation that it wasn't caffeinated beverages that were bad, but it was only HOT caffeinated beverages, and/or apparently dark colored ones as well (at least in some peoples mind)

So you still couldn't get coffee, tea, coke or the like for the most part once you got to Provo. If you wanted that you had to stock up in Salt Lake City before heading that way.

But you could get mountain dew. SO MUCH mountain dew. Everywhere it was.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
Kealia wrote:Sounds like things change constantly over there.....it must be hard to keep up.
This wasn't a "law" but it was more of a Mormon rule which was enforced where I worked and by the very nature of Provo (90%+ Mormon at least when I was there)…

So once all caffeinated beverages were bad. No coffee. No tea. No caffeinated sodas.

Then some high up in the Mormon church had a revelation that it wasn't caffeinated beverages that were bad, but it was only HOT caffeinated beverages, and/or apparently dark colored ones as well (at least in some peoples mind)

So you still couldn't get coffee, tea, coke or the like for the most part once you got to Provo. If you wanted that you had to stock up in Salt Lake City before heading that way.

But you could get mountain dew. SO MUCH mountain dew. Everywhere it was.

I'm not (nor have I ever been) Mormon, but I've lived in Utah for almost 30 years. One of the things I've learned is that there are official church teachings and rules and there are unofficial teachings and rules.

Blacks were banned from the priesthood for many years. Interestingly, early on, there were some Blacks who were ordained as priests (called to be priests? I'm not sure of the terminology), but that then changed. There was a folk teaching that the "mark of Cain" was dark skin, so that anybody who had dark skin was a descendant of Cain and therefore was not eligible for the priesthood. So the official rule was Blacks can't be priests, but the "mark of Cain" was never official. So it was only after the Prophet (the head of the LDS church, similar to the Roman Catholic Pope) announced that he had a revelation that Blacks could become priests that that changed. The teaching about the mark of Cain never changed, because it was never really an official church teaching.

The official prohibition was against "hot stimulating drinks" but many people decided that that was the rule originally because drinks like Coke and Pepsi didn't exist at the time. Therefore, it was caffeine that was bad. Or, apparently, caffiene in a dark beverage that was bad. Neither of those were official teachings, though, so it didn't require a revelation to change anything. All it took was a posting on the church website clarifying the rule.

I have a friend who told me that he viewed the "no hot stimulating drinks" rule as something that was designed to make people give up something they might enjoy. He said that he didn't really like coffee, so giving that up wasn't a sacrifice. But he *REALLY* liked hot cocoa, so he gave that up intstead.

I've also read that originally, the alcohol prohibition was only against wine and spirits (liquor) and beer was actually considererd healthful and something that should be encouraged. Interestingly, Utah cast the deciding vote repealing prohibition (many Utahns now probably think that was a mistake).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

My boss out there was a local Bishop, so I learned all sorts of stuff. One thing that surprised me the most though is just how much the LDS folks out there really dislike the RLDS church here. Even though Joseph Smith is the one who founded it (not just the local RLDS church, he helped build the actual historical temple here). So even though it is a historical site directly connected to a founder of their own church, they flat out refused to even consider visiting it when they were here when we asked them if they would like us to take them for a tour. They acted like they would spontaneously combust just by walking in.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Wow…this thread got way off Dave’s initial topic.

To bring it back on the tracks; Dave…hope you figured out a way to keep the beer line running, whether home brewed or commercially brewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

BlackDuck wrote:Wow…this thread got way off Dave’s initial topic.

To bring it back on the tracks; Dave…hope you figured out a way to keep the beer line running, whether home brewed or commercially brewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just brewing weekly until the pipeline is up and running. I figure not having any beer won't hurt me, and might help me. I really do need to curb my intake, and going cold turkey for a couple weeks may help me reboot and create a discipline that allows for reasonable consumption. I give in to temptation too easily, especially if I'm experiencing stress.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch