Hops Rootball

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Hops Rootball

Post by FrozenInTime »

Was able to dig one plant out, it's a giant rootball! It's about 8-10 inches wide and 6 inches deep. The root system is around 3 foot long! How much cutting on this can I cut out without killing the roots? I have gave it a good bath and got most the soil off of it, it's laying outside for an hour to dry out, it's soaking wet from the spray hose. I have already done some cutting on it, it was about 5 ft long. All this from one little plant but has grown for many years. This one plant, after the second season, gives me vines 8 foot tall, would go seriously taller if I had the set-up, gets about 2 ft thick and stretches out a good 5-7 foot wide. It just takes over the trellis! Anyways, this is one I'm sending, would like to get it manageable. I think all the plants I'm digging up are this big so they all need cut down some. Hope you have room for this one MrBandGuy.

:banana:
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Hops Rootball

Post by swenocha »

That's crazy... If some of that is coming our way we will definitely put it to good use on my friend's beginnings of a hop farm...

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Was just out in the garden, looks like I might have 5 or 6 more to dig of this size. This thing is heavy, going to have to talk to post office to see what shipping limit is. Hopefully tu or we I can dig some more.

Here's a pic of the one I dug and cut down some:
Attachments
IMG_2161.jpg
IMG_2161.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Does anyone know if something this size will grow again after replanting? This thing is a solid 3 ft long, major root system.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Holy crap! I’ll plant it and see what happens! At my last house, the starters were about 5”, but were producing in the second year. No idea about the soil here, but one former owner thought out the flowers, and we get color through most of the year.

I’m planning to do a rope system about 8 feet high, then train the vine to the rope so it always grows up. Worked great before, so long as I keep the rope above the tip of the vine.

Let me know if you want me to Venmo postage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

If this thing takes off like it always has for me, you'll have more hops than you could imagine.

I lived in Clarksville for a couple years, dun graduated from Clucksville high skool many years back. Spent too much windshield time driving through louey-ville to a job south of da city. I don't miss it for sure!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

FrozenInTime wrote:Was just out in the garden, looks like I might have 5 or 6 more to dig of this size. This thing is heavy, going to have to talk to post office to see what shipping limit is. Hopefully tu or we I can dig some more.

Here's a pic of the one I dug and cut down some:
Use the flat rate boxes. Doesn't matter how much it weighs.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I have a couple of these boxes, I'll have to see how much root cutting it would take to fit into one.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I've never tried to replant a root ball. I've done rhizomes and have stuck part of a bine with a leaf node in a pot of soil. Both of those approaches worked for me. I've had less success with live plants that were shipped to me.

Considering how small a rhizome can be and lead to success, I suspect you can trim a lot and still get growth. I'd be willing to bet that these will produce cones a lot faster than a rhizome.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Hope it grows good, I sent MrBandGuy the one I have dug up. I need to get some dug up for swen but won't be today. I got my second virus shot yesterday and it hit me hard during the night. I can hardly move, sore as heck, nauseated and a pounding head.... I'm getting there swen!
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

We have happy hops emerging from the ground at the new (and very scenic, as pic #2 shows) hop farm. Thanks!

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Kewl! Hope you get lots of hoppy buds.