Malt Vinegar

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Malt Vinegar

Post by berryman »

I have been experimenting on this for a while, but never posted on it until I thought I had it right. Made a Old English Pub recipe today for pickled eggs with it. If it tastes as good as it smells, then will be good.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Malt Vinegar

Post by berryman »

I only did a 2 doz. batch to make sure I like them. No beet juice added for coloring as that is a late American thing and didn’t do that back in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I love malt vinegar, so I would probably really like them.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote:I love malt vinegar, so I would probably really like them.
Mash, have you made it before? Also wonder if the professor has. I started this experiment the end of last year by taking 400ml of my red beer which has low hops but a lot of malt and a 100ml of raw cider vinegar after about 3-4 weeks I had the mother. I then did 1.5 Munich dme in a little over a gal water fermented for a few weeks with 05 yeast in a LBK cleaned out the LBK and put the beer and mother in and made the vinegar that I used. The first batch was good with the red that I pulled right out off the tap, but the second was better that is the base for the eggs.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

berryman wrote:Mash, have you made it before? Also wonder if the professor has.
I had a batch go bad once and it smelled like malt vinegar but I have never made it on purpose.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:
berryman wrote:Mash, have you made it before? Also wonder if the professor has.
I had a batch go bad once and it smelled like malt vinegar but I have never made it on purpose.
Yes, like the Professor I have inadvertently made "malt vinegar" but not on purpose. I should though, I like the stuff.

I'm sort of surprised that you didn't need to dilute it to tweak the acidity / taste, I think often people who make it from scratch do that. But maybe your beers gravity was such that it couldn't get totally whack in that regards. Or maybe the little bit of hops you had in there helped control it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

The_Professor wrote: I had a batch go bad once and it smelled like malt vinegar but I have never made it on purpose.
mashani wrote: Yes, like the Professor I have inadvertently made "malt vinegar" but not on purpose. I should though, I like the stuff.
I have never had that happen with beer but had some cider and wine go bad and turn to wild vinegar and before the internet and knew about good sanitation. This is kind of easy, well to get a mother started takes some time though, but once you get one can keep passing it down, I just started another one again yesterday one gal. As far as not diluting, from what I have read and studied on it as long as as under 6% ABV you are good. Open but covered fermentation and temp in the 70's low 80's.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

A new Mother made it will drop down when all the alcohol is gone.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

A new Mother made it will drop down when all the alcohol is gone.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

At that point can add more malt to it to make more, store as is as long as mother is submerged, or remove it and add malt/beer, hard cider or wine and make that. I am only interested in doing the malt, cider and wine vinegars are cheep to buy and easy to find.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
encreed

Post by encreed »

Malt vinegar is vinegar made from malted grains of barley. It has a tart flavor and can help to enhance the flavors of other foods it is paired with. It is best known for topping fish and chips. Malt vinegar is sweeter, milder on the palate, and less acidic than white vinegar. It has a more complex, nutty flavor and a warm caramel color thanks to the fermented barley. What's great about malt vinegar is that it's made directly from ale, similar to how red wine vinegar is made from wine, and it's fermented until it's vinegar. :rofl: