Maibock?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Maibock?

Post by berryman »

Well I tapped it, I wanted to wait until atleast mid April but couldn't. That is some good beer. Very clear, but was lagered, cold crashed and jello'd, even my wife and daughters picked it out as best on a blind test of what I have. got some pics. and will post sometime. I just wished it wouldn't take so long to do a lager like that. Think I will do another Helles and is lower OG and can use 34/70 and get it done faster.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Maibock?

Post by mashani »

Well, I finally brewed that Maibock recipe from Gary Glass (you know AHA / Left Hand Brewing). 10# Pils, 5# Vienna, 1# C-15, 1# Carapils,

0.5oz Magnum @60, 1oz Magnum @30 (so will get some slight flavor from it I bet, which is why I didn't leave half of it out, it seemed to be important vs. "just bittering"), and 0.5oz of Saaz @15 (I did it @5, as I slow chill), and 1oz of saaz @flameout. That does push the IBUs over 40, so it is a bit out of style but I don't think 35 vs 40 is really gonna matter much, I bet the sweetness from the C-15 will cover that up, maybe is why it's there anyways. Who am I to argue with Gary Glass right?

That actually did fit in my Mash & Boil with about 1cm of room to spare. I added it 3# at a time and gave it a good stir after each addition, I think that helped. I was going to skip the 1# of carapils if it didn't all fit, but it did. It was obviously a pretty thick mash, especially for me the BIAB boy. I threw in some amylase enzyme to give it a kick in the pants and try to make sure it all converted. I mashed for 100 minutes, I stirred (very carefully) every 20 minutes, and did a 20 minute mashout on top of that to kick the enzymes into a frenzy before they blew themselves up (that's what a mashout actually does IMHO, it doesn't really make the "sugars run easier"). The sparge was slow, but it didn't get stuck. Good thing I have been lifting weights though.

It came out at 1.071 at 6.5 gallons of volume post boil so I did get good conversion between the long mash and the enzyme.