Morebeer Cellar Science yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Morebeer Cellar Science yeast

Post by Beer-lord »

I know bpgreen posted months back that he added some Cellar Science chico yeast in a batch that wasn't taking off but I'm curious if anyone else has used any of their yeasts???
https://www.morebeer.com/category/cella ... 803abc8b30

I mostly use liquid because I'm impatient and really believe it kicks off quicker and that leads to better beer. Just my humble opinion but Cellar Science is supposed to be of better quality and much faster and rigorous fermentation. Guess I will give some a try.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Morebeer Cellar Science yeast

Post by bpgreen »

The only product of theirs I've used is the CALI yeast.

From my notes, it looks like I used it 6 times in total.

I had good results with it.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I ordered 1 Cali to try later but may try the lager yeast in the future.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I have used the Cal Ale so far. I used it in a Sweet Stout with additions to be a desert like S'mores Stout. It seemed to take off and do just fine for me. I can't comment on the clarity much since it was such a dark beer but it took a 1.080-ish OG mashed ~154 down to 1.020, but there was some simple sugars in there as well but no problems in that regard. Flavor wise, again hard to pin point any characteristics being the style of beer it was.

After I used it I did some research and I believe it's just re-packaged US-05 and that's fine, you get a little more bang for your buck with 12g for the price. There are only so many manufactures worldwide that produce dry yeast just as there are only so many liquid yeast labs. Just like the Mangrove Jack strains, these seem to be just repackaged known strains. These from Cellar Science seem to be from Fermentis (at least it appears to be at this time).

I came across this on another site which seem to explain:

"Cellar Science

Cellar Science takes the best winemaking and brewing products from across the world, and packages them in convenient sizes for you. Our yeast is packaged in a dedicated, state of the art room with HEPA filtration. Chemicals and additives are packed in convenient sizes for 6 gallon or 60 gallon batches of wine, or efficient bulk sizes. We use custom designed oxygen, light, and moisture barrier bags for the best quality and shelf life."

After looking at the other strains they offer it seems as if the Cali Ale=US-05, the English=S-04, the German Lager=34/70, the Berlin Lager=S-23. The one that stands out alone is the Nectar which indicates it doesn't have a similar yeast. I am all for trying them out, especially to get a little more bang for the buck, if there is any increase in performance maybe it's because the little extra in each packet, maybe they add some nutrient or additives geared towards dry yeast?
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've seen it said it is not repackaged US-05 but who really knows. It's said this was the Pro Brewers version of Cali yeast so maybe it is. It is hard to believe that 1 gram more of this yeast can handle a 1.080 wort.
Where's the transparency in yeast? :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I've seen it said it is not repackaged US-05 but who really knows. It's said this was the Pro Brewers version of Cali yeast so maybe it is. It is hard to believe that 1 gram more of this yeast can handle a 1.080 wort.
Where's the transparency in yeast? :)
I'm just saying that's what I used it in. ~3 gals @1.083, pitched the whole pack.

Is Pro Brewers another dry yeast manufacture?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Sorry, no, Pro Brewers just means professional brewers. I didn't mean to confuse but I'm good at that. :)

It's great you can get so much mileage on a 12 g pack of yeast!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I don't think there's a lot of difference between the various chico strains, with one possible exception.

The purported chico strains I know of are liquid: wlp001, wy056; dry: us-05 (originally us-56, but changed after wyeast sued), m44, cali, bry-97*.

I've always used dry yeast, so I can't compare with the liquid yeasts. I've had pretty similar results with the dry yeasts with the exception of bry-97. But I'm not entirely sure they're positioning it as a chico strain. The wording is ambiguous, but many people took it to mean that it was a chico strain. But it seems very different in my experience.

For the dry yeasts, the main difference seems to be the size of the packet, but there may be differences such as nutrients. M44 is usually 10g, US05 11, and Cali 12. I say M44 is usually 10g because I recently bought a bunch of 3g packets (sold as 3x3g, so I think 9g was intended to be used for a batch, but I use 4x3g).

I highly doubt if there's an appreciable difference between 10,11,12g. I could probably get by with 9g.

I suspect cellar science is adding afn extra gram for marketing.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

BRY 97 is not Chico yeast, it's something else. I don't know what it is, but I know it is different. It has too long of a lag time for my liking (because my house is a scary brett monster), and doesn't make beer I like any better, so I don't use it much.

My bet is that Nectar is the same as Verdant IPA. It has same attenuation, same temperature range, and is similarly described.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

mashani wrote:BRY 97 is not Chico yeast, it's something else. I don't know what it is, but I know it is different. It has too long of a lag time for my liking (because my house is a scary brett monster), and doesn't make beer I like any better, so I don't use it much.

My bet is that Nectar is the same as Verdant IPA. It has same attenuation, same temperature range, and is similarly described.
The lag time with Bry-97 is about the only thing I don't like about it. And I agree, it's a little different than the others.

Verdant came to mind for me as well, maybe because it is so new to market, at the time they didn't link it with Nectar.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I finally used this packet of yeast I got in early February with a expiration date of 2/23. I brewed a CDA Sunday and it was a 6 gallon batch that ended at 1.062 so I thought I'd follow what I've read in some reviews and rehydrate it for 20 minutes since many said if you go above 5 gallons and above 1.060, this would help. Well, it's rather pokey 48 hours in and I'm impatient but my experience tells me this is not where it should be at this point. I'm so used to liquid yeast kicking in 5-10 hours later that only reaching 32% of fermentation after 48 hours (so my Tilt says) seems slow when many said it was very fast. I roused it a little and raised the temperature to 68 and will take a gravity reading to be sure but I think I may need some nutrient and possibly some 05 to keep it going.
For me, Notty gets further along 2 1/2 days out.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Which one did you use? I have a couple of packs of Nectar which I'm going to try soon now that Belgian season is over.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Cali Yeast. I think, after warming it up and rousing it around for a fews days, I'm almost there....at least close. I'm not saying this can't be brewer error but it says 59-72 degrees so 66 should be perfectly fine but it wasn't until 3 days later when I raised it to 68-69 that it started doing anything. Never had 05 do this to me but I think I'm good now.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I pitched the Nectar about 36 hours ago and got pretty much nothing going on. Some trub, maybe it did something (but there were 6oz of commando hops in this, so some of it is likely just that). It hasn't krausened at all, just little flecks of foam here and there. Going to raise the temps, if I have nothing still at 48 hours I think I'm throwing in some other yeast to get something happening.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It got to > 48 hours and was still doing nothing much and annoying me, so I took an almost expired pack of S-04 yeast I had laying around and split it between the fermenters to make sure it gets done (this batch is split between two 3 gallon fermenters because that's usually how I roll).

Either that little competition pissed it off and it decided it better do eat right now, or it was ready to go and I just didn't know it, or the other yeast just kicked it's butt and took over, I don't know but a couple hours later it has a nice krausen.

I can't do 48+ hour hour lag time in my house without inviting Brett C to the party, so I doubt I'll use this yeast again.