Carbonation

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BxOldE1

Carbonation

Post by BxOldE1 »

Can i carbonate in a growler? Got 32oz growlers for Christmas and was wondering if i could use them?
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Carbonation

Post by MadBrewer »

Here's a good informative video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCEGsyMvPc

I have never carbonated in a regular Pub Style growler, so I can't comment on that. I have however carbonated in the heavier, swing top style growlers and feel completely safe doing so. I think the argument lies more in what are the Pub Style growlers intended for vs what can they handle. I have always heard it's the neck/mouth of the growler that is the thinnest and the weakest link. The typical thin steel lids do not do much for a high pressure seal and there aren't many threads holding that cap so I can see the argument as to why they shouldn't be used. But I also have no input on the smaller 32 oz growlers.

On a side note, if you are new to brewing, new to bottle conditioning your batches, it's not a bad idea to put your bottles back into the case that they came in and seal it back up and add the box to a heavy garbage bag if you have any reason to doubt the outcome or are worried or have reason to believe you may experience bottle bombs...it can save a huge mess and give a new brewer some piece of mind. Plastic bottles are also a great way to gauge your carbonation along the way.
Brew Strong My Friends...