Sanitizing tip

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Sanitizing tip

Post by bpgreen »

I started kegging almost 10 years ago, but I just figured something out that in retrospect seems so obvious that all the other people who keg probably figured it out looking ago, but just in case, I thought I'd share.

I've always struggled with sanitizing the liquid out tube. I'll press on the poppet and try to spray some Starsan into it and then try to hold it down while pouring the Starsan out. But I was never really sure how much Starsan was going through.

Today, I suddenly realized that I've been going at it all wrong. I put the Starsan in the keg, put the lid on, shook it and rolled it to make sure all surfaces were covered (as usual). Then I carried it downstairs, connected the gas in to a co2 canister and gave it a second or 2 of co2. When I pressed on the poppet, Starsan came squirting out. I know it had contact with the entire inside of the tube. So I'm sure it's well sanitized.

The rest of you have probably been doing this from the start, since it's so obvious. I think at least one person here goes even further and does the LODO thing, completely filling the keg with sanitizer, then pumping it out, replacing it with co2. But I've always just filled the keg, then purged a few times. I know that doesn't get rid of all the o2, but it works for me.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Sanitizing tip

Post by John Sand »

A reminder never hurts.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Good information. I will usually connect a party tap to the keg and direct the sanitizer into a bucket.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Yes Good information, I am kinda new to kegging, only close to two years now but have run quite a lot of beer though the system. I don't take the poppets or tubes out every time unless changing styles (like going from a stout to a light) or has been a few batches. After cleaned I put starsan in and shake around as you then a little co2 and put some of that though my lines and store the keg upside down with the starsan and co2 in until ready to fill. I spray the connects with starsan before hooking up.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

LouieMacGoo wrote:Good information. I will usually connect a party tap to the keg and direct the sanitizer into a bucket.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
That has the added advantage of keeping the party tap line sanitized.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I also use the flow of starsan from the party tap to help sanitize the autosiphon.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I just some StarSan into the keg, slosh it around, then pump it out of my taps to sanitize everything in between kegs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk