Soliciting opinions on yeast starter

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Soliciting opinions on yeast starter

Post by FedoraDave »

Specifically, if it's necessary for a smaller batch of lager. Between 2.5 and 3 gallons, to be specific.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
BlackDuck

Re: Soliciting opinions on yeast starter

Post by BlackDuck »

I don’t use a starter in any of my lagers. And they are 5 gallon batches. I direct pitch two packs of Fermentis dry lager yeast or 2 packs of White Labs PurePitch yeast packs. I’ve never had a problem with either type of yeast. So I would say....nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

We'll need a bit more info such as the SG of the beer, what type of yeast and if it's liquid, the age of the yeast. There are yeast calculators available that let you know how much you need.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Generally, I agree w/ Beer-lord.
I, personally, have used starters for 3-gallon lagers. But, I prefer to pitch more cells than the average brewer, I think.
As Beer-lord said, it mostly depends on the OG, and the number of viable cells you're starting with. This is where a pitch rate calculator makes all the difference.
I like the one below. For lagers, use the "1.5" target pitch rate, at least, and maybe try the "1.75" target as well, just to see if you can get even further into the comfort zone with the size of your pitch. (You'll need to know the packaging date of your yeast, which sometimes has to be backed-into based on "best by" date - Google can help with this.)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pit ... alculator/
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

That is the yeast calculator I use and I would also pitch that much. I use the Pro Brewer pitch rates (1.0 typically as I rarely brew high gravity) for Ales as well. It lets me drink it sooner without tasting acetaldehyde (I am a super taster of that stuff).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

The calculator I use also. Sometimes seems like a lot of yeast or a big starter but I like the results.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

mashani wrote:That is the yeast calculator I use and I would also pitch that much. I use the Pro Brewer pitch rates (1.0 typically as I rarely brew high gravity) for Ales as well. It lets me drink it sooner without tasting acetaldehyde (I am a super taster of that stuff).
mashani, I recall you making a post on this fine forum several years ago about that calculator, and the good results you were getting by being generous with your pitch rates. I followed your advice and agree that the results are well worth it. So, if I haven't stated it here before, I'll say it now - thanks for posting that!

Example: 10 days ago I brewed an ESB - I do small batches, so it was 3 gallons of 1.060 wort, using S-04 dry yeast. One package should be plenty for a small batch, yes? Well, not according to that calculator. So I pitched 2 packets. Had strong activity in less than 6 hours and those beasts were done with active fermentation in 2 days.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.