Some Beer History from my area.

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Some Beer History from my area.

Post by berryman »

Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Some Beer History from my area.

Post by berryman »

No More Koch Brewery in Dunkirk NY. It closed in mid 80's. I was a mechanic at a trucking company that hauled a lot of beer in the mid 70's, I also could be a local driver if no over the road drivers were available. I hauled stuff in and out of there with a tractor trailer. I was always amazed you could sit in the waiting room while the truck was loaded or unloaded and they would give you all the beer you wanted. I always tried to refrain and maybe had 0ne or two and I was young but knew I had to drive that big rig 10 miles back to the shop. Things like that just don't happen anymore and prolly a good thing.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

There’s a lot of things that we could do “back in the day” that would be considered felonies today!!! Probably a good thing, but those days sure were fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I was going to start another thread for this, but since the article mentioned Genesee, I thought it might belong here.

What about bad beer?
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Hey, I remember Koch's from when I was at SUNY Fredonia in the late 70s/early 80s. In fact, this thread put me in mind of those days, when the local supermarket would take all the odd beers on Friday and make mixer/sixers that they'd sell on the cheap. They really catered to the college community because they'd let you buy individual cans and bottles. Hence the mixer/sixers for the weekend. I remember sitting around the table playing cards or backgammon with my friends in our rented apartment and drinking cheap beer all weekend. Koch, Hamm's, Genny, Iron City. If we found a couple of bottles of Miller, we thought we'd struck gold! :lol:
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

FedoraDave wrote:Hey, I remember Koch's from when I was at SUNY Fredonia in the late 70s/early 80s. In fact, this thread put me in mind of those days, when the local supermarket would take all the odd beers on Friday and make mixer/sixers that they'd sell on the cheap. They really catered to the college community because they'd let you buy individual cans and bottles. Hence the mixer/sixers for the weekend. I remember sitting around the table playing cards or backgammon with my friends in our rented apartment and drinking cheap beer all weekend. Koch, Hamm's, Genny, Iron City. If we found a couple of bottles of Miller, we thought we'd struck gold! :lol:
Great thread here. My wife is a SUNY Fredonia Alum. We got married in Dunkirk, NY. My Father in Law's Family owned Czysz's Tavern on Courtney St.
Thirsting For Knowledge
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FDave and brewnewb, Just drove past SUNY Fredonia on Central Ave. today on our way back from Buffalo. Fredonia is about 10 mile from me.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison