Digimash for $229 .99 - 439.99 depending on options.

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Digimash for $229 .99 - 439.99 depending on options.

Post by bpgreen »

The price depends on which options you choose. The least expensive is 9.25 gallon 110 volt with no pump. The most expensive is 17.1 gallon 220 volt with pump.

There's also a 220 volt 9.25 gallon version (with and without pump) and a pump version of the 110 volt 9.25 gallon version.

It looks like the pump option adds $100.

This looks similar to the Mash and Boil and/or Robobrew. It's bigger than the M&B, which would be helpful if you like to make big beers.

Poking around the morebeer site a bit, there's also a digiboil, which looks to be the digimash without the malt pipe (which can be added later, although doing it that way costs $5 more). The 9.25 gallon 110 volt version is $159.99. You could probably use that with a bag (if you could make sure to keep it off the bottom so it wouldn't scorch).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Digimash for $229 .99 - 439.99 depending on options.

Post by mashani »

Yeah, if my M&B blows up, I might get one of these to replace it. I think the only thing your missing is the insulation factor. But there are 220V versions of the digimash available, so getting it to boil would not be hard if you have 220 where you brew (I do!).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I am not to get anything new as long as the M&B is still working like it does, if happens yes looks like something I would like to check out. I like this system of brewing and will stick with it.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brian, I don't know about you, but I'm never going back to a turkey burner outside brewing after having a all in one electric system. Yes the M&B is limited on size but have done some 1.060's - mid 1.070 with it, yes a little slow on coming to a boil and not the greatest boil but works. These newer ones are getting better and better. When mine shit$ the bed I will be looking at them things. Them new ones would be great for someone thinking of moving up from MB, BD or extract and steep and still can brew that way with them if want.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, I'm super happy with the M&B, and if I was to get something "new" it would be because the M&B blew up and it would be something that would work very similarly. A 240v version of the Digimash would be a good option for me in that regards (it is like $10 more then the 120v version so it's a no brainer since I have 240v where I brew), but I'd only do it once my M&B kicks the bucket. I don't need a pump or any of that other stuff that drives up the cost and adds more points of failure.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I agree wholeheartedly.

I bought the equipment to do the outside thing, but could never motivate myself to actually do it. And the first electric systems were pretty steep. I've read a lot it'd quality control complaints about earlier robobrew systems, but I think they've addressed those.

I like being able to "set it and forget it" and I like being able to brew in my kitchen, just rolling the cart in and plugging it in. My 220 (221, whatever it takes) outlet isn't convenient, so the 110/120 works well for me.

I'll stick with the M&B until it dies. By that time, there will likely be even more options.

Since covid hit, I've basically been doing batches with 10 lbs 2 row, wheat, oats, c60, white sugar (I know, but it bumps the ABV). I was using more 2 tie and no sugar , but it's just easier to mill the bag.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:white sugar (I know, but it bumps the ABV). I was using more 2 tie and no sugar , but it's just easier to mill the bag.
Totally nothing wrong with sugar. Belgian and many historic British beers use it. Pliney the Elder, which many consider one of the best IPAs on the planet uses it. I will use sugar anywhere I think it's useful. I do tend to use dextrose or invert sugar just because the yeast can eat it directly like a malt sugar, vs. having to invert the cane sugar with an enzyme (invertase of all things). Just because it seems that the yeast produce less acetaldehyde this way, and since I am a super taster it lets me get the beer bottled and good to go for me sooner. If I am low on grain for a recipe, I will gladly simply mash at a higher temperature and then use sugar, the extra unfermentable sugars from the higher mash temps bring up the body and provide more malt flavor so I don't miss the missing grain, and the sugar brings the ABV back to where it should be. It is a useful trick.