Early birthday present

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Early birthday present

Post by bpgreen »

Believe it oe not, this is the short version.

There's a long story behind this, but I kind of coerced my brother into brewing after my mom moved near him. He started the way many of us did, using prehopped extracts.

He also got his son involved early on. My nephew started keeping a brew journal right off the bat.

At first, it was kind of a chore. And even for the simplest beers, they'd call me and keep me on the phone for much of the brew day (which sometimes meant I didn't get a brew day in).

At some point, the bug bit and they started having fun. Then they bought a couple of rhizomes. And I gave them some. They bought a propane burner and when they did, they went big because it takes as much time to brew 10 gallons as 5.

And my nephew (and nieces and sister in law) bought a kegerator for my brother so he wouldn't need to keep filling growlers.

They recently made the jump to all grain and asked me to convert one of their favorite recipes from pm to all grain.

Now, brew days are a big father-son bonding thing and something they really enjoy.

The other day, I got a text that I'd be getting an early birthday present (my birthday is in January). Apparently, they really appreciated all the help I gave them when they didn't know what they were doing.

It arrived today. It's a growler werks ukeg!

This thing looks awesome. It can hold 128 fl oz. Utah only allows 72 oz od home brew to be transported outside of the home, so I'll need to be careful (careful to underfill or careful to avoid detection, I'll let you decide).

I'm looking forward to trying this out.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Early birthday present

Post by mashani »

How do they actually know it's homebrew though? Could just be bud light!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Congratulations! Happy Early Birthday! Buy a really fast car so you can outrun those darn revenoozers!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That's a cool gift and well thought out. You'll be enjoying that for many years.
I still can't believe the outdated homebrewing laws there. Such a shame.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

bpgreen wrote: Utah only allows 72 oz of home brew to be transported outside of the home, so I'll need to be careful (careful to underfill or careful to avoid detection, I'll let you decide).
Congrats, enjoy!

The above leads me to this question. If I'm passing through, or decide to spend some time camping in Utah, I'm not allowed to bring a few kegs with me to help make it through the trip?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

FrozenInTime wrote:
bpgreen wrote: Utah only allows 72 oz of home brew to be transported outside of the home, so I'll need to be careful (careful to underfill or careful to avoid detection, I'll let you decide).
Congrats, enjoy!

The above leads me to this question. If I'm passing through, or decide to spend some time camping in Utah, I'm not allowed to bring a few kegs with me to help make it through the trip?
Kegs aren't allowed in Utah except for bars and restaurants and homebrew. And for homebrew, you can't bring a keg outside of your home.

It's also illegal to bring any alcohol in or out of the state with the exception of when you move in (and I think you need to declare everything you bring in and may need to pay a tax) or out of the state. So not only can you not bring a couple of kegs with you, you can't bring a six pack with you.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

bpgreen wrote: Kegs aren't allowed in Utah except for bars and restaurants and homebrew. And for homebrew, you can't bring a keg outside of your home.

It's also illegal to bring any alcohol in or out of the state with the exception of when you move in (and I think you need to declare everything you bring in and may need to pay a tax) or out of the state. So not only can you not bring a couple of kegs with you, you can't bring a six pack with you.

And I thought NY had some F'ed up laws......
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Guess I'll keep my tax/tourist $$ out of utah. Many other states/bushiness' love my $$. Sounds like a lot of politicians/laws need to be changed, causing your states to lose income (not political).
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FrozenInTime wrote:Guess I'll keep my tax/tourist $$ out of utah. Many other states/bushiness' love my $$. Sounds like a lot of politicians/laws need to be changed, causing your states to lose income (not political).
Believe it or not, the laws there now are less strict then when I used to go to UT for work reasons. Back then the only place to get served beer (at least more then 1) was a private club that you had to get invited to by someone who was a member. And even then it was just 3.2% beer, nothing stronger was allowed. I get a "membership" at the one of the only places in Provo there was at the time, a private club where the bad BYU students went, where they showed Bikini Kill Kill type B movies, and recordings of some "robot wars", that took place out in the dessert away from things... which back then was serious stuff - ginormous robots made out of old farm and road maintenance vehicles with flame throwers and flaming barrel launching trebuchets, and giant metal chomping threshers and blades and the like... and crowds watching that looked like they were an accident waiting to happen. I have no idea if bored people in UT still do that but it was apparently a thing back then.

At one point it got so that you could get ONE beer at the TGI Fridays, but the bar was not open or staffed ever, it only existed because it was built into the floor plan. If you tried to order a 2nd beer, they looked at you like devil horns sprouted from your head and refused to serve you.

And coffee? No Bueno. Grab some Starbucks on the way out of SLC airport, because once you got near Provo is was non-existent. Mormon rules against hot caffeinated beverages. But mountain dew was OK, they had a revelation at some point that it was only HOT caffeinated beverages that were bad, not cold ones. So all the computer geeks just sucked down Mt. Dew.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:Guess I'll keep my tax/tourist $$ out of utah. Many other states/bushiness' love my $$. Sounds like a lot of politicians/laws need to be changed, causing your states to lose income (not political).
Believe it or not, the laws there now are less strict then when I used to go to UT for work reasons. Back then the only place to get served beer (at least more then 1) was a private club that you had to get invited to by someone who was a member. And even then it was just 3.2% beer, nothing stronger was allowed. I get a "membership" at the one of the only places in Provo there was at the time, a private club where the bad BYU students went, where they showed Bikini Kill Kill type B movies, and recordings of some "robot wars", that took place out in the dessert away from things... which back then was serious stuff - ginormous robots made out of old farm and road maintenance vehicles with flame throwers and flaming barrel launching trebuchets, and giant metal chomping threshers and blades and the like... and crowds watching that looked like they were an accident waiting to happen. I have no idea if bored people in UT still do that but it was apparently a thing back then.

At one point it got so that you could get ONE beer at the TGI Fridays, but the bar was not open or staffed ever, it only existed because it was built into the floor plan. If you tried to order a 2nd beer, they looked at you like devil horns sprouted from your head and refused to serve you.

And coffee? No Bueno. Grab some Starbucks on the way out of SLC airport, because once you got near Provo is was non-existent. Mormon rules against hot caffeinated beverages. But mountain dew was OK, they had a revelation at some point that it was only HOT caffeinated beverages that were bad, not cold ones. So all the computer geeks just sucked down Mt. Dew.
You were in Provo? That's basically the capital of "happy valley". That's got a higher mormon ratio than my county.

I think private clubs went away in time for the Olympics. Recently, the abv limit went up for grocery stores (but only to 5, not the 6 that was proposed). Flights are also now allowed. They were kind of ignored for a while on the thinking that 6 glasses with 2 oz was equivalent to 1 12 oz glass, but somebody complained and it got interpreted as 6 servings. Only 2 servings are allowed (this is actually an improvement; 20 years ago, if I had a small amount of beer in my glass, I couldn't order another beer).

Interestingly, Utah was the state that cast the vote to overturn prohibition. And in early
days, beer and wine were considered healthy and only hard liquor was canned
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote: You were in Provo? That's basically the capital of "happy valley". That's got a higher mormon ratio than my county.
I was in Provo often for work - on and off for many years, and then when they were just starting to build new road infrastructure for the Olympics for a full week or so out of every month for about a year. The one really nice thing about Provo was being able to get up into the mountains very quickly. But the beer and coffee situation was a drag. The other drag was the rendering plant that was sometimes downwind of where I had to go to work. Yuuuck. Most of the people I worked with there were Mormons, with a few x-communicated "bad apples" (women who wouldn't take shit and such) who I liked hanging out with better outside of work. My boss there was a Bishop. They were all "nice" but it was a very forced kind of "nice" if that makes sense.