Cookin’ Chicken today

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Cookin’ Chicken today

Post by berryman »

Got 2 chickens in the electric smoker and goin to do hamburgers and hotdogs on the gas grill. Just poured my first beer of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
BlackDuck

Re: Cookin’ Chicken today

Post by BlackDuck »

Yummy. Those look delicious. I just finished brewing. Also just finished a glass of my Kolsch!!!

I’m putting a 6.5 lb pork butt on the smoker at midnight tonight for tomorrow’s dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

My wifes cousins husband was very interested while I was cooking them chickens for the family party, he does a lot Of BBQ too, Lives in Ohio where my wife is from. Wondered why I wrap the wings with tinfoil, They will burn or get over cooked before the rest of the chicken gets done. Happens more on my coal and stick burner but still do it when using the electric. He was happy to learn that. glad I am good for something to pass down things.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

What temp and how long do you smoke the chickies?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote:What temp and how long do you smoke the chickies?
FIT. I was doing whole 5-6lb chickens like I would pork or beef @150-200. but skin would always come out rubbery no matter if brined all night or water pan. Would taste good but I don't like the skin like that. Now I am cooking them between 250-275 and way better. Close to 1 hour per lb but need a probe and pull them at 160-165 and wrap and put in a cooler, will still cook more off the burner. The skinless pieces I did yesterday is another story, will cook way faster at them temps.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
tdracer

Post by tdracer »

Have you tried "beer butt" chicken in the smoker? I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-Grills-B ... NrPXRydWU=, but if you just want to try it an open beer can will work... Don't worry about the quality of the beer - you can use old flat beer or cheap commercial beer with good results. The key is that the alcohol and water in the beer keep the chicken moist and add some flavor.
I smoke mine at ~210 F for about 3 hours - the result is marvelous (I don't normally eat the chicken skin, but it seems to brown nicely when I do it that way).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

tdracer wrote:Have you tried "beer butt" chicken in the smoker? I use one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Traeger-Grills-B ... NrPXRydWU=, but if you just want to try it an open beer can will work... Don't worry about the quality of the beer - you can use old flat beer or cheap commercial beer with good results. The key is that the alcohol and water in the beer keep the chicken moist and add some flavor.
I smoke mine at ~210 F for about 3 hours - the result is marvelous (I don't normally eat the chicken skin, but it seems to brown nicely when I do it that way).
TY tdracer, I will check that out, always open for new ideas and new technology.....
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison