Fermenting temp

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Pdunc

Fermenting temp

Post by Pdunc »

Brewing a Twisted Monk Witbier today. BrewDemond gives a fermenting range of 64 to 84 degrees. Is there a “best” temp for brewing this beer, and if so, why?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Fermenting temp

Post by John Sand »

Yeast will ferment over a wide range, perhaps 40-100f. But it will produce different flavors at different temps, some undesirable. 64-68 is a close tolerance, I don't worry about dialing it in any closer.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I’ll also add that consistency can be important too. Try to avoid temp swings up and down during fermentation, even if it’s in the acceptable range. Big swings can also lead to off flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

Fermenting at the high end of the temperature range will produce more esters and possible undesirable fusel alcohol.
Fermenting at the low end of the temperature range will produce a 'cleaner' tasting beer.
Fermenting below the low end of the temperature range will put the yeast to sleep.

I too aim for maintaining 64 - 68°F during the first five days after which I let it rise to room temperature (lo 70s).
Keep in mind ... fermentation gives off heat so the temperature inside the fermentor can be several degrees higher - IIRC 5-7°F - than the temperature outside the fermentor.
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

This all depends on the yeast you are using, but if you are using the yeast Brew Demon provides in the little packs, then the ranges above mentioned (mid-upper 60s) and stableish temps are about where you want to be.

If using an actual Wit bier yeast, it might be higher though depending on the flavors you want to coax out of them. Many Belgian yeasts are good in the 70s to even 80s. Some Belgian yeast produce the best flavor profile by not doing what they said above and starting at say 68, and then letting the temperature actually rise during fermentation up to 78 or even more depending on the yeast. (actual Belgian breweries do this, not just silly home brewers like me).
Pdunc

Post by Pdunc »

Thanks for all the great info. My new batch of Twisted Monk is now fermenting at a constant temp of 68-69 degrees. I plan on leaving it in the fermenter for 18 days, then condition in bottle for at least 3 weeks.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Pdunc wrote:Thanks for all the great info. My new batch of Twisted Monk is now fermenting at a constant temp of 68-69 degrees. I plan on leaving it in the fermenter for 18 days, then condition in bottle for at least 3 weeks.
That's a good temperature, and a good time frame for fermenting/conditioning. But don't chill all the bottles at once. Just the ones you plan on drinking in two days (48 hours is a good time frame to chill a bottle). See what a difference more cellar conditioning makes. You'll be surprised at the same beer from the same batch at 8 weeks.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch