What do I do with it

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Disasterdave

What do I do with it

Post by Disasterdave »

So I have made 3 batches (1 or 2 Gal) so I have 3 half full packs of yeast. What do I do with it? Its in a ziplock in the fridge, to I just toss it ?

Hate to waste good yeast
Beer-lord

Re: What do I do with it

Post by Beer-lord »

Closed dry yeast packs are usually vacuum sealed and should have a 'best by' date on them. I keep mine in the fridge and have not had a problem with them.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Disasterdave

Post by Disasterdave »

Beer-lord wrote:Closed dry yeast packs are usually vacuum sealed and should have a 'best by' date on them. I keep mine in the fridge and have not had a problem with them.
Sorry may have not phrased that correctly. Mine are same, but what do I do with them, collect till I have a set? :)
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Even opened, if kept dry and cool, they should last you a number of months.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

I fold the sachet over on itself the to close ... secure with a rubber band ... and store in the fridge.

Common practice having open packets in my brew closet.
Only use half of one per batch.

PRO TIP:
1/2 of 11g yeast sachet = 2 level teaspoons
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Not sure I understand, why did you open 3 packs of the same kind of yeast, using half of each in a batch?

Next time just do as they said above, and then use the other 1/2 of a pack in the next batch, that way you don't end up with a bunch of extra opened packs simultaneously and instead will be saving up more sealed packages.
Disasterdave

Post by Disasterdave »

mashani wrote:Not sure I understand, why did you open 3 packs of the same kind of yeast, using half of each in a batch?

Next time just do as they said above, and then use the other 1/2 of a pack in the next batch, that way you don't end up with a bunch of extra opened packs simultaneously and instead will be saving up more sealed packages.
Thanks I guess this gets to the heart of my question, at this point I am a kit brewer, so I end up with three different half used yeast bags, and I don';t know enough yet about using a different yeast than came with the kit. More reading to do on my part I guess.

Thanks
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Oh if it is 3 different yeasts, then what you did is fine stored like everyone described above - but now instead of buying a whole new kit that includes yeast - if you liked one of those kits, just buy the ingredients to make it individually without the yeast and then use the other half of the yeast that matches the original kit.

I hope that made sense?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Note that once you've opened the packet, the yeast will start to lose viability to sine extent, and there's more of a chance of introducing wild yeasts, bacteria, etc so it's not a good idea to keep open yeast packets for a long time.

A4 an aside, unless you're trying to get stone of the flavors from stressing the yeast at the beginning, there's nothing wrong with using the full packet on a small batch.