What do you do with "extra" beer?

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

What do you do with "extra" beer?

Post by bpgreen »

Since I've switched to all grain brewing, I sometimes end up with more in the fermenter than I planned.

If I were bottling, I'd transfer to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, then start filling bottles and stop when there's no more to fill. But when I'm kegging, I just use the autosiphon, which isn't really a good option for bottling (unless there's a good way to clamp it off).

Today, when my keg was full, I still had about a half gallon left (that's unusual). I just transferred to some sanitized quart canning jars. I'll pour some into the glass and fill with beer (of the same style) on tap until it's gone.

As I'm typing this, I think I've already come up with a better solution if this happens in the future.

I've been naturally carbonating by adding some sugar to the keg as I do the transfer. If I have an overfilled fermenter, I should just treat it as a big batch prime. Transfer to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, transfer to the keg until full, then use the bottling want to fill bottles. If I have/can find a bottling wand. I don't remember when I last used one.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What do you do with "extra" beer?

Post by John Sand »

Your solution makes sense to me.
The one time I tried to bottle the remaining beer after kegging didn't go well. I was working outside, with a siphon in one hand and a bottle in the other. Full bottles were standing close by. My Dear Wife came over to kiss me, (I'm irresistible) knocking over a bottle and causing me to lose the bottling tip too. Since I had apparently to choose between bottling and kissing, I gave up bottling, but it was close. Now I just dump whatever is left.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I usually have a quarter to half gallon left also. I just dump it too. I plan to have that much left in fact, this ensures that I don’t transfer a bunch of crud into the keg. Helps the beer to clear quicker in the keg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

With the mash & boil there is 1/2 gallon below the spigot. So I brew 1/2 gallon more volume then I am targeting, so I don't have to tip it and get kettle trub. But if I want / need to (IE my boil off was a bit too much) I can get ~1/4 gallon more out if I really want to. But normally I just dump it, I have already considered it "loss".
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

After having my E-system for almost 2 years, I'm usually pretty much right on but I do brew 6 gallons. I usually use lots of hops and like to overpitch to get a fast ferment going so I have lots of funk in the bottom of my fermenter and get a full keg with mostly funk to pitch. If I brewed a 5 gallon batch, I'd not be able to fill a keg.
The few times I've not been that accurate, I'd taken a 16 oz plastic bottle, filled it and put a carbonation cap on it and flash carbed it to test the beer.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black