Hop Magic?

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Hop Magic?

Post by Beer-lord »

Reevaluating Dry Hop Techniques
Dry hopping at 35 degrees? Much like the info we're getting about Covid 19 and how you read one thing one day and maybe almost the opposite the next day, this has me scratching my head.
I first hear about it on the Beersmith podcast and I guess I have to try it now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpV_pwbCGiI
If this is true, it sort of conflicts with some of the info in Scott Janish's book about dry hopping temps. Scott does mention cooler temperatures work better but I'm pretty sure 35 degrees wasn't mentioned. This could speed up grain to glass even faster. Add Kveik yeast and you can go from dropping the yeast to keg in 4-5 days depending on how fast you can cold crash.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Hop Magic?

Post by Kealia »

Just listened to this. I guess I have to try it now.
Over the years I've tried dry hopping stages, for 7 days, for 5 days, focusing on whirlpools only, and probably 2 or 3 other methods that I can't think of right now.
There's no reason to NOT try this.

Brew, cold crash, dry hop for 2 days at 35, keg, carb, drink, repeat.
The long and short of it for those that don't want to listen: extraction of linalool compounds from hops using this method is the same as levels from dy-hopping at 'normal' temps for 2 weeks. (Who the hell dry hops for two weeks??). It supposedly reduces polyphenols (causes that hop burn on heavily hopped beers) and tannis, too.

I'll try this on my next brew day which should be in the next 2 weeks.
Beer-lord

Re: Hop Magic?

Post by Beer-lord »

I will too. I guess since they suggest hopping NEIPA's by day 2, that's a beer I would not do this with but I'm looking to try it with Chico and Kveik yeast (the latter is fermented in the 90's so it'll take longer to cold crash).
I've not finished Scott Janish's book yet but I'm almost there. It's a detailed read that Covid attention span syndrome wouldn't allow me to finish yet. :jumpy:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black