How to clean after a pellicle forms?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

How to clean after a pellicle forms?

Post by Kealia »

My satellite fermentor (hydrometer with sample) has formed a little pellicle. I'm not surprised because when I took a sample of my seltzer I left the tube near an open window for the better part of the day before putting it away with the hydrometer and must in it.

I'm thinking ahead here and wondering if all the opening and repitching of yeast into the seltzer in the fermentor caused a pellicle in there, too. If so, what is the proper way to clean and sanitize afterwards? Just a good thorough cleaning and sanitizing or do I need to bleach, etc.?

I plan on racking the seltzer this weekend and since my fermentor has a spigot on the bottom, racking from under it (assuming I actually have one) won't be an issue. I'm just looking for what I need to do to get my fermentor back to clean and sanitized so it doesn't carry over to my next batch.

@mashani, I know this information/request is right up your alley. And yeah, I'm going to Google some answers too but I much prefer to hear from people I know and trust.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How to clean after a pellicle forms?

Post by berryman »

Bleach bomb and lot of rinsing then starsan or what ever you use after. Not much can survive a heavy bleaching.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It depends on what it is and what your fermenter is.

If it was a wild yeast pellicle then normal sanitation is going to be fine.

If your fermenter is stainless steel or glass and not scratched or pitted, normal sanitation is going to be fine.

If it is plastic and there are potential micro scratches, and you think there might have been lacto or such involved I'd go with bleach bomb.

If there is a spigot, I'd take it apart and bleach bomb it or sanitize it separately.

If there is plastic tubing... same for that.

Does that make sense?

All that said bleach bomb is safest as long as its safe for your equipment.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I would first let it soak in hot PBW overnight to get as much funk out of it then sanitize with Star San. Wash clean then use chlorine then repeat with PBW and Star San.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I use this sometimes.
.....the man himself Charlie Talley (manufacturer of Five Star Chemicals, makers of Star-San) spoke about a homemade concoction that kills just as well in the event of large scale sanitation or the using up of your favorite sanitizer. Charlie recommends an accurately measured solution be made from the "dreaded" bleach, water, and house hold distilled white vinegar.

A mixture ratio of 1 oz distilled white vinegar to 5 gallons of water is thoroughly mixed, and then 1 oz of household bleach is added only after the vinegar is diluted in the water will work perfectly. This high dilution of the vinegar in the water before the bleach is added prevents any out-gassing of chlorine from the bleach that is added at the end. The vinegar actually helps the bleach work as a better sanitizer due to acidifying the solution more. The high dilution also means it leaves no residual tastes behind of bleach or vinegar, making it a perfect "cheap" no-rise sanitizer.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:I use this sometimes.
Out of curiosity have you used that for no rinse sanitation without ill effect, or only for murdering things and then letting it sit around and dry for some days. If so, it worked out? I'm going to guess it's ok as long as measured right though.

When I've had to use normally diluted bleach I've always rinsed 3x and then let it sit around totally dry for a good bit before even thinking about using it for brewing. (and then using a no-rinse right before brewing). Just to be safe from band-aid flavors and such.
Beer-lord wrote:I would first let it soak in hot PBW overnight to get as much funk out of it then sanitize with Star San.
If there is a film residue or any kind of crud/beer stone that won't come off this makes sense because "you can't sanitize dirt" (or at least it's not easy) as such. But otherwise probably isn't "required". It won't hurt, but your using up a lot of stuff here and spending money that maybe isn't required.
Wash clean then use chlorine then repeat with PBW and Star San.
I would let it dry after washing it, and then just use Star San or whatever no-rinse you normally use on brew day. I don't know what PBW would get you here at this step, except spending more money? It won't hurt anything, but it is probably not necessary.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:....Out of curiosity have you used that for no rinse sanitation without ill effect, or only for murdering things and then letting it sit around and dry for some days....
Both. With bottles and fermenters. I prefer Starsan generally. Easy to use the bleach/vinegar a week before on a questionable fermenter and the Starsan on brewing day.
Be careful with the volumes. Let dry thoroughly. And be careful about the mixing caution to avoid deadly poisonous chlorine gas.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Thanks all. It's a stainless BB Brewtech fermentor so no scratches, etc. to worry about.

I'll give it my thorough cleaning, soak in PBW (as is my normal process), then hit it with bleach just to be safe.

Then, sanitize, store and sanitize again before next use (which is also normal process).

If I need to go this route, is it 1oz/5gallons of water for the bleach bomb?
HerbMeowing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by HerbMeowing »

The_Professor wrote:I use this sometimes.
I use it every time. :D
Homebrew will get you through times of no money
Better than money will get you through times of no homebrew

- apologies to the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote: If I need to go this route, is it 1oz/5gallons of water for the bleach bomb?
I've always used 1 TBSP / gallon (that would be like 2.5oz I think for 5 gallons). That for a 20-30 minute soak with 3x rinse after.

1oz / 5 gallon sounds more like what you would use if you were following that acidified bleach solution recipe.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

For stainless I might just rely on boiling water.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.