Hard Seltzer (kit from Northern Brewer)

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Hard Seltzer (kit from Northern Brewer)

Post by Kealia »

Recently my wife bought a few White Claw Hard Seltzers to try and I have to say they were pretty tasty. I get a funny aftertaste from things like Mike's Hard Lemonade but this had none of that and a solid fruit flavor (they were black cherry IIRC).

A few days later I saw an email from Northern Brewer touting a hard seltzer kit so I decided to give it a try. It arrived yesterday and I decided that I'd document things here in case anybody else is interested in trying it out. I'm posting it here, because it's very basic. If you can brew using extracts, you can do this - based on what arrived and the directions.

It arrived with 4lbs of corn sugar, yeast, carbonation drops (for bottling priming), yeast nutrient, and a citrus flavoring pack. I'm opting to not use the flavor pack because we have Toriani syrups that we use for my Berliner Weiss and we'll use them for this as well so we can add whichever flavor we want to the glass and not have 5 gallons of any one-flavor.

The directions are pretty simple:
Use 2.5G of water to dissolve and boil the corn sugar for 10 minutes.
Cool to 80. Add to fermentor and top off to 5G.
Pitch yeast.
Then, every 24 hours for the next 3 days, add one packet of yeast nutrient.
Once fermented, leave for 2 weeks to clear.
Add to bottling bucket (if you use one) and add the flavoring to-taste (after dissolving in water).
Use fizzy drops to bottle carb, or you could keg and carb per your normal process (which is what I'm doing).

Since I'm working from home, like most, I did the boil this morning and it's now cooling to pitch temps. I'm not bothering to use my immersion chiller so it's 'slow chilling' until I get to it later.

I'll post along the way, but I don't expect much in terms of Earth-shattering updates. It seems pretty easy. And it' supposed to be based on White Claw, so I'm hoping it tastes similar when ready.

Given the simple ingredients, you could make this up with supplies from your own LHBS - except that you'll need a way to flavor it if you choose to do so.

More to come ~
ImageImage
Last edited by Kealia on Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer-lord

Re: Hard Seltzer (kit from Northern Brewer)

Post by Beer-lord »

Cool!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

As I was adding the yeast nutrient today (you do this 1/day for the first 3 days - did I mention that?), it occurred to me that I could dry hop this and end up with something like Lagunitas' hop water - though theirs is non-alcoholic.
That could make for a nice alternative, too. I won't do it with this batch since it's a test, but I could see splitting a 5G batch and dry-hopping half in the future. Just because.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, this same basic process can be used to make a rapid turnaround low ABV (like 4% or <) mead. The nutrients will help the yeast rip through it and it will not require a lot of aging unlike a high test mead.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

My wife and daughters are huge fans of White Claw. I'll be following this thread for your updates.
Thirsting For Knowledge
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Not much to report on yet...2 days of nutrients added so far. I'll likely pull a sample to check gravity on Sunday. They say to wait 2 weeks after fermentation is complete for clearing, but I'll likely just hit it with gelatin to speed that up.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

6 days in and I decided to check the gravity and I'm glad I did. Zero activity. Gravity hasn't dropped a single point.

I went out yesterday to my LHBS and picked up a fresh packet of yeast to pitch.

When my order arrived a while back, the dry yeast wasn't packaged with the ice pack and liquid yeast so I can only assume it died during it's long, non-chilled journey to me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I’m assuming you pitched the fresh yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I did, yes. Along with some more yeast nutrient even though no nothing ate the earlier stuff apparently.

I'll check gravity again tomorrow. There's absolutely no reason this shouldn't ferment.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I didn't think anyone could manage to kill dry yeast in shipping. Dry yeast is way tougher then liquid.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

Any updates on the hard seltzer ?
Thirsting For Knowledge
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hey, good morning. I checked gravity yesterday and it's dropped 10 points (from 1.036 to 1.026) so it appears to be on it's way. I think two things happened:
1) I pitched and tried to ferment WAY too warm @ 80 (based on what I thought I read), and
2) Just not patient enough when I did drop the temp to the right range and pitched some more yeast

I'm used to checking my gravity at 4-5 days in for my beers at this point, and the directions for this say to ferment for 4 weeks. So I just need to leave this alone for a while, but it does seem to be on track.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Glad it got going for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

That's good news. I hope it turns out well.

My wife needs a hobby. She's been home since March 13. You can only do so many school district zoom meetings each day.
Thirsting For Knowledge
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm not sure I would count making hard seltzer as a hobby that will take up a lot of time. There's not much to it!