electric brewing??

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

electric brewing??

Post by TonyKZ1 »

In reference to my previous post in the brewing/bottling area about problems with the electric stove and not forgetting about the stains on the stove from my previous 5G kettle that my wife likes to remind me of. I was thinking and reading about electric brewing on not really a little larger scale but different. I was looking at this, Gigawort™ Electric Brew Kettle. I see Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer both have them on sale. Does anyone have experience with something like this? I normally boil 2.5-3G in my current pot so I'm really not looking to go bigger than the 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipes that I'm doing now. Of course I could just stay with what is sorta working too, but where's the fun in that? :D
Thanks, Tony
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: electric brewing??

Post by TonyKZ1 »

From what I'm reading, one problem(?) is that it only holds 4.4G. I normally only boil 2.5-3G so that might not be a problem other than from boilovers.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

That doesn't look too different from the mash and boil, other than the size. Also, I think the mash and boil has 1600/1000 as the choices instead of 1600/600.

I've used the mash and boil and have liked it.

Something that uses 220 (or 221, whatever it takes) will come to a boil faster for obvious reasons.

One thing to note is that this requires a GFCI outlet. I've never used an extension cord and wouldn't recommend it. I think that there may be extension cords that can handle the load, but I'm not willing to risk it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

The gigawort looks a lot like what I am using but smaller and no grain basket. But something you really have to think about and as you said happy what you are doing, BUT so easy to do all grain in the same kind of system if want and can still do extract in it too. Mine is 7 gal. and have mashed up to 17 lbs grain but is pushing it. I also did as little as 2.5 gal. in it. The price isn't all that different and gives you the option to do something different if so chose. Something to think about. The Giawort looks like a good unit though.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

You could check out the Digiboil that is in the same price range. The extra capacity would be the main thing. Both units would be just fine for you if you are looking to use just for the boil, but the Digiboil leaves you some options for the future, you would have more capacity for larger batches and there is also a mashing upgrade option for $75 where you can add a grain basket and screens to all grain mashing. Add a $60 wort pump along with that down the line and you can build on your setup as you chose to...if you chose to. Even with your smaller batch size, the Gigawort would really limit your options. The Digiboil is built by KegLand and uses the same (more available) parts as the RoboBrew. I have considered adding the Digiboil to my setup to compliment my RoboBrew...which I really like.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/digib ... -110v.html
Brew Strong My Friends...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I think MadBrewer is on to something there with the Digiboil. You could set your temp for the steep, then after add your extract and boil. You would have the option if so desired to add more grain to your steep and do a mini-mash if wanted and have room to expand if wanted. I think how much easier that would have been for me when I was doing 5 gal extract and steeping instead of a propane turkey burner.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

TonyKZ1 wrote:From what I'm reading, one problem(?) is that it only holds 4.4G. I normally only boil 2.5-3G so that might not be a problem other than from boilovers.
One good thing Tony they're quite a few on here now that use that same basic system. Keep a spray bottle of cold water when come up to the boil/break and won't have a boil over, also when adding any extracts or sugars turn the burner off and mix in good otherwise on any of these things will trip the reset, they seem to all do that.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I have a GrainFather and love it! But it is spendy. I also have a converted elec. turkey fryer that works great, small and cheap. I put it togather after a thread with instructions, was simple. I don't remember if it was on here on an arrogant forum I won't even mention without throwing up in my mouth. It works great on 3 gallon batches. Anyone remember the post and where it was?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I was going to also suggest looking into the DigiBoil if you want to save some money over a Mash & Boil. This version with the upgrade kit has everything you need. (mash basket, false bottom, etc.).

https://www.morebeer.com/products/digib ... -110v.html

It actually has more capacity then a Mash & Boil. It's only downside would be slightly lower watts and not insulated as well, so its going to run more to maintain the heat and even though lower watts it might still end up using little bit more electricity.

BTW if you have access to 220V circuit there is a 220v version for only $10 more I think, also found on MoreBeer. Then you have more watts / heat capacity then a Mash & Boil.