More on dry hopping techniques

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

More on dry hopping techniques

Post by Beer-lord »

This seems to back up what I've read in Scott Janish's recent book.
I've noticed a slight increase in aroma with splitting the dry hopping into 2 drops but then there are some that will say you're letting more oxygen in. It never stops.
Basically, what I've been brewing the last year has been fine so I don't know if I will change my ways. 4-5 days seem to work just fine.

https://www.brewbound.com/sponsored/re- ... echniques/
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Re: More on dry hopping techniques

Post by BlackDuck »

Wow...that's a lot of science in that article.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I love dry hopping. I think I have tried every which way and I think there may be pros and cons to each. As of lately, for hoppy beers I really like keg hopping. Having the hops in the beer full time while that keg is on tap keeps those flavors and aromas going strong, and being that the beer is kept cold the effects from the long term contact are different and very low. No matter how we dry hop, I really feel oxidation is a true concern. That is an area I really try to be careful with. I have experienced those vegetal off flavors and aromas, which can really take a nice beer down a notch or two.

I ferment in my kegs so what I do is add a stir bar to a sac of dry hops and hold it to the side of the keg with a strong magnet. I can pull the magnet and drop the hops at any time, maybe that's during primary fermentation, maybe it's towards the end of fermentation, maybe it's after it's been cold and carbonated in the fridge for a week or two. Gives me a lot of control and I never have to open the keg to do it. Once I add yeast and button up the keg, fermentation takes over and that beer will never see oxygen again.
Brew Strong My Friends...
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote: 4-5 days seem to work just fine.
Just curious when do you add your dry hop and how?
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

MadBrewer wrote:
Beer-lord wrote: 4-5 days seem to work just fine.
Just curious when do you add your dry hop and how?
Depends on the beer style but lately I've been getting my beers into kegs in 2 weeks time so I have tried waiting until day 7 to add the hops to my fermenter. On my recent IPL, I decided to add some hop hash while fermentation was still going on but dying down. Supposedly, the co2 pushes out any air. However, I've never had a problem with oxidation, as far as I can tell anyway.

The majority of my beers get a single dry hop addition at 7 days, then I cold crash about the 12th day and keg the 14th. These are usually in the 1.055 range. For larger beers I try to wait 3 weeks.
For amounts 4 oz and under, I go commando and crashing works just fine. For huge amounts, I may go part commando and part hop sleeve.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

That's a lot like what I have always done in the past. I would just try to catch the tail end of fermentation, enough to where I felt co2 was helping but still give them some time before transferring to kegs. I remember when I was starting out the common practice was to add them for 2 additional weeks. Either wait for the beer to clear before adding them or add them when racking to a 2ndary. Now things are going complete 180.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I completely agree that homebrewing has seen swings. Remember Brut IPA? Well, now you see it, now ya don't!
But, I'm a 'try it myself' person before I truly believe most of what I've read. Bottom line, try things out and see what you like. You pay for it, you make it, so do what you like.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Yup, only way to learn and improve is trial and error. I am reading up on all the Juicy NEIPA stuff though before hand. Not really my style but I have some friends interested in brewing and that is something they want to brew.