Tilt Hydrometer

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Tilt Hydrometer

Post by Beer-lord »

My first use of the Tilt Hydrometer today and it's mixed. First, as I said recently, this is a pleasure purchase. No need at all for this geeky, nerdy device.
I calibrated it in water, then before adding to the fermenter, sanitized it. But, with a hydrometer reading of 1.059 and a refractomer reading of 1.057, the Tilt came in at 1.053. That's just not close enough. Of course, I'm not giving any opinion until a few brews in but I still think this is an unnecessary buy but what does one do with a Christmas bonus?

I can see its usefulness but as it is, with only Blutooth, it needs work. It's hard to read thru a keezer and walls and I'm not interested in getting a Raspberry Pi to play with it with WiFi but I guess its just another tool in our beer arsenal.
My hydrometer reads 1.059, the refratomer reads 1.057 and the Tilt reads 1.053. That's just not close enough. I calibrated as per instructions in water (both tap and RO) and it was 1.000 so why this is off so much I don't know.
More info as I go forward.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Tilt Hydrometer

Post by berryman »

Interesting and TY, with all the hype I have read on it, would have thought it should be a little more accurate then that. Keep us posted.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It’s also almost impossible to use the app if you use a keezer. I have to be right next to the keys are and sometimes even open the key to the door to get it to read. They do sell a repeater but after spending this much on the unit why would I want to buy a repeater and spend more money?
Too early to see it’s true usefulness but I’ll have to try this a few more times before I think I can share my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I was just thinking it would be easier to read in digital on a phone for a old guy like me. Also could see the progress as it happens.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Here are a few pics from the phone app. Nothing really to see here but you can also get a .csv file sent to your email to show progress though that's just too nerdy.
Attachments
IMG_0917.PNG
IMG_0917.PNG (268.69 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
IMG_0916.PNG
IMG_0916.PNG (247.9 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
IMG_0915.PNG
IMG_0915.PNG (279.71 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I'm very intrigued by this. I love geeky stuff and IOT (Internet Of Things) stuff like this. I like the concept but the limitations of bluetooth and WiFi when you put it in the your keezer and then charging you more just to make it work the way it supposed to in just poor design. I do have a question, in the screenshots it show "uncalibrated" for the temp and gravity why is that? Would doing calibration fix the accuracy issue?
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I remember seeing this awhile back myself. Like Leigh said, the limitations of the Bluetooth are what turned me off. I’ve read it’s really bad if you put it in a stainless fermenter. Paul, is yours in the stainless fermenter? If so, how’s the Bluetooth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

LouieMacGoo wrote:I'm very intrigued by this. I love geeky stuff and IOT (Internet Of Things) stuff like this. I like the concept but the limitations of bluetooth and WiFi when you put it in the your keezer and then charging you more just to make it work the way it supposed to in just poor design. I do have a question, in the screenshots it show "uncalibrated" for the temp and gravity why is that? Would doing calibration fix the accuracy issue?
I'm not sure about that message but the last thing I did before tossing it in was to calibrate it. I calibrated it once when I got it two weeks ago then again yesterday. Both times it was correct, '0' while in water (both tap and RO water). Perhaps it is uncalibrated. I have read many places that some have had problems with the reading but only during early, rigorous fermenting so maybe it'll even out. The temperature is accurate and almost exactly the same as my inkbird.

I think buying a Raspberry Pi is just making it more expensive, like getting their repeater. Pi's run about $50 and are very easy to work with but why charge $135 for something and then have to spend almost that much again for a Pi and repeater. That's not for me to want to deal with. Basically, I had some bonus money left so I figured, what the heck. I don't hate it but as I said before, definitely not needed at all except for my nerdness.

Chris, I have it in my SS Brew bucket. I have to open the keezer door to get it to connect. Supposedly this latest version was better. I'm not seeing it.

Here are some of the new features of the Tilt:

Range: Better reception and range. With the increased transmission power your Tilt will send data through larger, thicker-walled fermenters.
Precision: Upgraded sensors. With an improved temperature sensor and accelerometer your Tilt will operate with more precision.
Efficiency: We've reduced power consumption so more brews, less battery.
New Look: Newly designed custom circuit board and harness.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Further, looking a various videos of users online, they all show the words, 'Uncalibrated' next to gravity and temperature. Not sure why. Also, Tilt says they are calibrated when shipped and should be ok to use but to check anyway. Like I said, mine was calibrated.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Beer-lord wrote: My hydrometer reads 1.059, the refratomer reads 1.057 and the Tilt reads 1.053. That's just not close enough. I calibrated as per instructions in water (both tap and RO) and it was 1.000 so why this is off so much I don't know.
More info as I go forward.
So that is off from hydro by 6 points on OG. wonder on the bottom FG if still would be off by 6? Not good but not so bad if that is the case. The other thing and am sure you have thought of this is temp. conversion. Just thinking....
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

The Tilt is supposed to compensate for temperature variations when showing the gravity.
So far, mine IS showing the gravity lowering after 2 days of fermenting. This morning it was down to 1.042 but I'm not going to open it yet to take a refactometer reading.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I saw these things and though they were kind of neat, but then the way I do things I'd need 2 or 3 of them... so it seemed to be a bit much to justify for myself. The geek in me would enjoy them though.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: but then the way I do things I'd need 2 or 3 of them...
I think why they have different colors. I am not sold on this either, but looks like something I would like, but not sounding so good right now so far.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Yea, but I'm only sticking to 1. It's already more than I wanted to spend and I can't see me using more than 1.
Here's some of the logging you get with the Tilt. You can get better logging info (that I don't even care about) if you get the Pi and use it for the connection.
Tilt.PNG
Tilt.PNG (12.1 KiB) Viewed 4599 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Beer-lord wrote:Yea, but I'm only sticking to 1. It's already more than I wanted to spend and I can't see me using more than 1.
Here's some of the logging you get with the Tilt. You can get better logging info (that I don't even care about) if you get the Pi and use it for the connection.
Tilt.PNG
That would be more then enough for me. I would just like it to be a little more closer on accuracy. One or two points off could deal with that but not 6. How close does the temp compare with the one on the brewbucket?
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison