Smoked Mesquite Ale

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Badblood

Smoked Mesquite Ale

Post by Badblood »

After living in Arizona I always wanted to make a mesquite ale. Need your opinion as to what type of ale to make it? I am thinking either a brown ale or a porter?

I ordered a pound of smoked mesquite grains (minimum). Will only use half of that though to try. I think a whole pound will be too much. Thank you.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Smoked Mesquite Ale

Post by mashani »

Either a Brown or Porter would be good.

Here is one recipe that used it.

http://blog.brewingwithbriess.com/geaux ... al-porter/

Consider that the beer here was around 1.085 OG or something like that (this was a very big high alcohol beer with relatively low bitterness) and 20% mesquite was considered very strong. At least until they aged it a lot.

In a normal strength porter @5 gallons, ~10% mesquite would be your whole pound. So for 2.5 or 3 gallons, 1/2# would be ok. You aren't going to age a normal strength porter for 6-8 months to let it mellow... so I'd go with the conservative amount.

If you like it but want more then go for more next time.
Badblood

Post by Badblood »

mashani wrote:Either a Brown or Porter would be good.

Here is one recipe that used it.

http://blog.brewingwithbriess.com/geaux ... al-porter/

Consider that the beer here was around 1.085 OG or something like that (this was a very big high alcohol beer with relatively low bitterness) and 20% mesquite was considered very strong. At least until they aged it a lot.

In a normal strength porter @5 gallons, ~10% mesquite would be your whole pound. So for 2.5 or 3 gallons, 1/2# would be ok. You aren't going to age a normal strength porter for 6-8 months to let it mellow... so I'd go with the conservative amount.

If you like it but want more then go for more next time.
Thanks. I am going to use half a pound in the nut brown ale recipe. It is 4.6% already. Will see how it goes.
vandarye

Post by vandarye »

Oh how I miss Shiner Smokehaus